Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Melbourne Marathon 2007

Sunday I woke up still feeling crappy from my cold, the Sudafeds had dried up the runny nose but I had a headache. A couple of Nurofens fixed that ... temporarily.

I decided to stick to the original plan and try to go out at 3:30 pace. Got to halfway in just over 1:45. Even though I didn't feel great health wise that pace was quite comfortable and in fact I had to hold myself back a little.

I started to slow to 5:10s at around 25k, I think the drugs were wearing off as I was beginning to feel worse - a little headachy and the muscles in the back of my neck were sore. Also I was a bit nauseous. I had a Gu at around 20k and thought I should take another sometime, but only managed to force half of another one down at around 32k, that was all I could stomach. So annoying when the legs are fine!

Anyway, to cut a long story short I just kept on going as best I could. The final couple of kms were close to 6 minute pace, though by the sounds of my breathing you'd think I'd been doing 400m reps. The only reason I didn't walk at all was because I just wanted to get the race over and done with. Crossed in 3:38.13 (net time).

All things considered I'm happy with my time. I'd say the cold cost me maybe 4 or 5 minutes, but probably no more.

On a good note I had no muscle cramping, or blisters, or chafing. And I got to chat to fellow PCRG-ers and other Brissos, CRs, and bloggers at various stages along the way. And it was a fantastic course (definitely PB material) and so well organised. Its already on the cards for next year :-)

24 Comments:

Blogger Samurai Running said...

Talk about the glasss half full Tesso, you can even take "no chaffing" as a race bonus.

I'd bet that bloody head cold robbed you of a sub 3:30. So it would be alright to be a bit miffed.

But you have the right attitude. There is always next year.

Well done your build up to the race and execution of it were almost faultless.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Great result considering you felt like crap. Big thumbs up from me !

5:08 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Tesso, bad luck that the cold hit when it did and took its toll on you and the ultimate finish time. I think you were brave to and tough to soldier on to such a respectable time under those circumstances. Chalk up another one!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Kelley Flood said...

Hi Tess, You have to be so careful when you have a cold you did very well you are always a champion in my eyes. Take care Tess your great

7:17 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

A good run considering how you felt. You are right about the course. Especially if the conditions are as good as they were on Sunday.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

The cold didn't seem to weaken you too much by the strength of that punch in the guts you gave me at the pub on Sunday arvo!

You're right - I'll be back again next year too.

8:25 PM  
Blogger strewth said...

Well done Tesso - a brave race and fantastic result.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Was nice catching up with you briefly on the course and afterwards at the Transport. Considering you had a cold you put a good performance in, well done.

Who knows, I might make it up your way in 2008.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Tess, congrats. That's a good time given how cr*p you were feeling.

Hope the recovery goes well - rest up & take care of yourself

10:16 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

I thought too much belly dancing weakened your legs! You must cut that out next year. Still a good run with a cold, really affects your balance so a good effort.

10:18 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Tess - I've said it before and I'll say it again - you are my hero mate.

Lindt cafe - my shout!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Bad timing for you but now you've got it all sussed out for next year.

11:22 PM  
Blogger IHateToast said...

colds are inconvenient. at least you didn't let it beat you.

and you were the only one walking well. those boys... soberly drunk walkers!

11:33 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

One of these days you and I are going to have to run a nice long race together, but I think that I'm going to make sure that you have a cold so I can keep up with you! How did you do that time feeling that way. Stagger me! :-) :-)

Gnomey

11:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Tess, I'm so impressed that you kept going feeling like that! Congratulations on such a gutsy effort. And, you didn't let on how bad it was at the pub!

I agree, great course and good fun - just a few bugs to sort out.

Great catching up with you again!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good gutsy run Tesso. Its a shame about the cold, but as another famous runner once said "#&it happens". There will be a next time.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Shame about the cold, you had been training so well too, a 3-30 would no doubt have been on.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Damn, everyone has a cold! Such a pity, but you've had so many great races this year. Great result anyhow! Hope to see you next year then!

9:51 AM  
Blogger miners said...

hey mate - sorry I haven't been around the blogtraps for a while. Great to hear you did so well considering the conditions you went into it with. Hope you're enjoying the last of your LSL?

9:56 AM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

there should be separate pbs for when youre feeling crap.
well done!!
whats next?

10:11 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Bummer about the flu Tess, fitness is still there and all that training should be put to good use...Brindy..GNW? :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had no idea you were feeling weary when we high-fived each other, Tesso.

If that cheered you up, I have to tell you it kept me going when all I wanted to do was turn around!

7:50 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

You did well all things considering and I'm sure the recovery session at KokoBlack helped. I'll be joining you for the marathon next year - part of my goals for next year!!!!

8:58 AM  
Blogger trailblazer777 said...

well done!

It was great catching up with other CR's at the Transport afterwards.

3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home