Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Clickety Click

Week 1 of the Melbourne Marathon taper went like this .....

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 12k with middle 5k in 22:13. Was trying to run that 5k at 4:30 pace for a total of 22:30. Thought it felt a bit hard!

Wednesday - 18k, most of it with JD, Karin & Eagle. Wasn't planning to run that far but it was such a beautiful morning. Glad I did it when I saw how Thursday turned out.

Thursday - Rest (rainy).

Friday - Efforts around the bay. 4mins, 2mins, 4mins, 2mins, 4mins, 2mins, 4mins, 3mins with 45sec jog rec. 12k all up incl warmup and warmdown.

Saturday - 24k. 1k warmup then three (7k) laps of the bay then a 2k warmdown. Tried to do the laps progressively faster. 1st - 37mins, 2nd - 36mins plus a couple of seconds, 3rd - 33:34. The goal for the third was 5min pace. I was doing 4:50s for the first few kms but started worrying I'd drop off the pace and so sped up :) 2k warmdown.

Sunday - Rest (cheersquad duty at Sydney Marathon)


66k for the week, a little less than planned but that's what happens when you are too wussy to run in the rain.

15 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

It rained?

Getting close now....

1:20 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Happy taper. And good cheering on Sunday. Not that I noticed anyone as I didn't look up.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Hope you are enjoying the taper, looking good Tesso. Lots of good food, water and rest. :)

3:27 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Ok 12, 18, 12, 24 is a taper ? I get tired just thinking about it !

5:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Nice. Some good quality in there. I'm looking forward to reading your target pace for the marathon post.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You call that a week of taper? I was only doing 65-75 km per week in training mode! Makes my 40 km taper week look pathetic....

5:32 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Running in the rain is way overrated anyway, I reckon.

How was the Sydney marathon?

7:40 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Rainy! We'd do cartwheels for the chance to run in the rain!

Sorry I missed you on Sunday - the cheersquad was in the wrong place. No cheers for us poor 9k runners :(

7:59 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

That's a tough taper Tesso. Take it esay over the next 2 weeks your body will really appreciate it and reward you with an outstanding marathon. It's true!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

That's a great first week tape! Textbook perfect and wow, really good times.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

your taper week is bigger than my build up - as usual. thats why you carry on and i die at 38k i guess huh? it sounded easy all that - melb looking very good Tess

10:35 AM  
Blogger Toms ass said...

Slack Tesso, Bloody Slack. I thought you went to Sydney to train. Cold weather, no humidity, no Mt Cootha, sounds soft to me. Only 90+ k's a week. It's too late now. You've missed your chance. Anyway good luck next week.

5:35 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

I'd call that tapering. This week's weather should motivate you. Good luck for Melbourne.I'll report on GC...

6:32 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well, you did have a few rest days, so I guess you are tapering right? Send some of that rain our way.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Happy Birthday for tommorrow the 2nd of Oct Tesso. Have a great day. I remembered that you had the same B'day as the peace loving bald one, "Ghandi" that is not "Eagle."

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home