Monday, September 03, 2007

The week that was ... incl Striders 10k race

Monday - rest .... if you call spending the day with niece and nephew who were sick and had the day off school 'rest' :-)

Tuesday - 8 x Lillyfield Rd hill reps. Alternated between straight up and down (times 3:00 to 3:04) and longer loop via Mary St. 14k all up including warmup and warmdown.

Wednesday - Ran the LKL with JD, Karin and Eagle. Another great mid-weeker, the time sure goes quick with such terrific company. Guessing it was somewhere between 14 & 15k, so I'll call it 14 1/2.

Thursday - Did 10 x 2 min efforts with 30 sec JR. Though the last effort was actually 2 1/2 mins as that's the sort of thing that Pat makes us do :-) 14k all up including warmup and warmdown.

Friday - Easy paced recovery run. Was tempted to head back after about 10 mins until I met a fellow runner, Paul. He ran marathons in the 1960s with a best time of 3:05. No gels or special drinks in those days, just water. He was great company, and running my pace, so stuck with him and ended up doing 8k.

Saturday - Striders 10k race at North Head (Manly). Was honestly expecting to run around 46 mins, with fingers crossed to just sneak under 46. But managed to stick to 45 min pace for most of it and then up the ante towards the end, the downhill finish helped. Crossed in 44:16, 39 seconds faster than my last 10k the week before the GC Marathon and my fastest 10k time in 2 years. But best of all though I got to see my Brissie/PCRG buddy Andrew who was leaving the country that afternoon to work in the UK. 12k for the day incl warmup.

Sunday - Joined the weekly STaR run. Went with the 6.10am group who supposedly run 5:30 pace but as it turned out it was closer to 5:00s and seemed to get faster the further we went. It was hard work, but how often does one get to run with the likes of CRs Action and Granpa, and Chelle who was 2nd lady at Willy to Billy last weekend. Hung on until about 18k and a few kms later caught up with the 6am start group. Jim M left them and joined me for several kms including a slight detour that took us off the map. By the time we got got back to the start finish I'd done 25 to 26k (in 2hr 8min) so ran and out and back and around a bit for 32mins to make it 2h40m and around 31.5k.

94k for the week - happy with that.

I hope to extend this week's long run out to 35k but not sure how to fit that in with the SMC Half Marathon on Sunday. Maybe do the long run Thursday? Or do it Friday and not push too hard on Sunday? Or do it Saturday and just run the 10k at SMC on Sunday? Hmmmm ....

22 Comments:

Blogger Spud said...

Your training the house down Tesso, looking good for the marathon. Great stuff!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

woops "you're"

10:23 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Tesso

That was a good 10K result and it must have been good running it there, I probaby told you before ;)Manly is my hometown.

I guess that if you have to be away from your PCRG that is the next best place to be!

I finally joined a running club here I'll let you know about it later on my blog.

All the best for your preparation.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Thats a good 10k time. Two years since the last one that quick. Augurs well for a quick Melbourne Marathon. Pat will be pleased. Yes the pace of the 6:20am was even sillier, 4:22/k pace. Oh the feet!

12:25 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

When we achieve 100k every week we'll do even better, won't we?

1:03 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Congrats on the 10k time Tesso and a nice weekly total to boot :-)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Congrats on the Nth Head run Tesso.

Sorry about the score in the Broncs game yesterday - tehe. :-]

4:53 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Nice effort on the 10k gotta be happy with that. Looks like the training is going well for Melbourne. Hopefully I will catch you down there

6:04 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Don't you dare come home and start running circles around all us slowies now will you. Promise you'll still run with me and do all the talking when all I can manage is a grunt or two in between breaths.

Great to hear you are doing so well and that the secret cheesecake training diet is working wonders. Oops secret is now out of the bag.....might have to try it. Does it count if I eat some and don't run???

6:23 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Training in Sydney seems to be suiting you Tesso. Good times, lots of K's, no problems...or is it just the no work.

It's great ot hear that all is going well.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Do it Thursday or Friday, rest or easy Saturday, and go hard on Sunday.

44:16! That's good. Now I'll have to target 44:15 in the Canberra Times ;)

I'll write the book about jogging 3k every second day when I've had it with Hadd.

9:21 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

thats a big week.
just between u and me i think sydney people shorten their races a bit to make it seem like youve gone quicker ;)
its hard being on LSL - all these tough decisions!

7:23 AM  
Blogger plu said...

Re Semitrailer run - if you are happy to plod at that pace you are more than welcome to come. It is best a bit later in the night when the car traffic dies down.. ONe day we will do it.

Plu

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mat said...

Great work the on the 10kTT, and the big training week. Now I see your plan, train twice as hard, go twice as fast, cunning :-)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Good stuff on the 10 k time. Decisions, decisions re - the long run. I've got a HM this Sunday as well and not bothering with a long, long run this week, other than my midweek long run tomorrow (20k). I'm sure you'll work it out.

ps. Thanks for the heads up on the comment posting problem at my end, it's now fixed.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

exended the half but keep it easy. you have lots of endurance and melbourne will be great for you

7:31 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Congrats on the 10k result. 94 is a good number , you're on fire , keep it going.

9:03 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I noticed that Clairie said (and I quote) "Don't you dare come home" so I guess that you're just going to have to stay here now...

Gnome

10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice time Tesso! It's lucky that there are out and back sections on the Melbourne couse, cause at this rate I don't think I'll be keeping up - you and I seem to be the yin and yang of training; I'm doing 2 days a week, you're doing 5-6!.

6:05 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

nice week tess!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a heck of a big week, Tess! I think you suit Sydney very nicely indeed...do you have to go back to Q'ld.?

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home