Monday, August 27, 2007

Running 101

The past seven days looked something like this ...

Monday - 90 minute gym session (weights, core work etc).

Tuesday - 8 x 500m reps but with a reduced recovery (20 seconds). Aimed for 2:10s and was close, most were just a few seconds too quick. 12k all up including warmup and warmdown.

Wednesday - too wussy to run in the wind and rain so did 14k on the tready at the gym averaging 5min pace.

Thursday - the famous LKL run with JD, Eagle and Aunty K. A very pleasant run with some very pleasant company! All up around 18k. Not sure of the pace, a bit under 5:30s I guess.

Friday - 14k all up, some of it a bit under 5:30s, and some a bit over.

Saturday - CR 5k Challenge. Thought I'd do 22:30 or thereabouts and really couldn't see myself cracking 22 minutes. But I had Gnomey by my side the whole way and he was pacing perfectly, the km split times were only seconds apart. Crossed the line in 21:44. I'm sure he could have gone faster, especially when Rags caught us and then passed us, but he hung in there with me ... such a gentleman :-)
12k for the day including a 2k warmup and the run back to the start line.

Sunday - Started out with JD, ran 1k to the bay and did a lap (7k) with the goal of running 5min pace. Came in with a few seconds to spare. We tried to slow on the next lap but still it was 5:03s. Then he left me to my own devices and I managed another 16k without dropping too much speed. All up 31k in just over 2h37 (av 5:05s). Happy with that, but I was totally knackered!
Along the way bumped into Caro, Kit and Razor, and Marty, and stopped for a chat with all of them. So a very social outing.

Lots of kms for the week, 101 in fact :-) Still, is just six weeks until Melbourne I'm not feeling even close to ready.

16 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

But a few more weeks like that and you will. The Sunday long run pace seems pretty fast. Don't go breaking anything.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you're not ready, I'm stuffed! I'm only doing 50-55km a week, and your long is the same pace as mine.....

1:40 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

108 for me, but I probably took twice as long to run them. The 21:44 wasn't too shabby. 5:05s for the long run... that's close to Eagle pace!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good going Tesso. 101 for the week is a big effort and the 5K challenge shows that you can still out the quuick ones over the shorter distances.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I barely managed 80 so you are wlll ahead of me.

9:23 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

31km doing 5.05s? ouch! no wonder u were knackered.
might see u in melbourne - TOH is down there for a work thingy so may watch/run the half or something.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I can't believe that I read Tesso did 14km on a treadmill! Anyways, I was thinking how good you were going for Melbourne and then I read you aren't happy! I'm sure you will be fine :)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

i think 14k on the treadmill should only count as 12k, therefore you might have only done 99 for the week? if i ever get that close to 100, i'll be counting every metre, up the stairs to work... touch footy with the kids...
31k at 5;05's i think you are pretty right for melb - the 3 months before counts too of course

8:54 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I don't know how anyone could do 14km's on a treadmill. 8 is about my limit and I am bored stiff.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I would rather run in the wind and rain than go on a treadmill that far.

And I don't understand you liking summer training over winter. For me Brisbane winter, is THE perfect training conditions. Wish it was like that all year round.

Do you count your chat time in your long runs?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Bennyr said...

I ask you, is there a better person to have next to you when you want to run a fast time than Gnomey?

The man is a legend.

I hope you start to feel a bit more ready soon. At least you're doing the right thing to feel ready - 101K isn't an easy week.

4:25 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

You need to go back to work :-p

Nice work mate (as always)

4:52 PM  
Blogger miners said...

damn - just the thought of those consecutive days makes me shudder. You'll be fine for MM if you're easily getting through a week like that - long run or not

5:27 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

That's a nice tally for the week, well done. Good pace too.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

What's with this virtual running on Wednesday. Do those k's really count towards weekly milage? Just kidding, of course they do, but 14 km on a tready, what was the scenery like?

10:26 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Don't worry too much about not feeling ready for Melbourne, at least as you are there is no fear that you will peak too soon.

That 101 week will pay off down the road so to speak.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home