Monday, August 13, 2007

City To Surf

Friday - Annandale to King's Wharf and around Darling Harbour then back via the waterfront and Anzac Bridge then around the streets until I clocked up 90 mins.

Saturday - 2 laps of the bay from Timbrell. Ran anti-clockwise then clockwise wondering if I'd bump into anyone I knew - nope! Then did a bit of an out and back and lap of Timbrell until I'd done 90 minutes.


****


Sunday - City To Surf

After the previous couple of days I figured I was likely to come in around 68 minutes, so set the goal as sub 70. Got to the start line around 7am for the traditional CR gathering. I so look forward to this, its such a big part of the event. I also look forward to the chocolate flakes provided by Superflake :-) Its amazing just how quickly that two hours go when you are in such good company!

Run wise I found it hard to get too enthused to bust a gut, I didn't see the point in thrashing myself and not being able to run for a couple of days. Its not that easy to go flat out in the crowd anyway. Still, I didn't totally bludge. Heartbreak Hill was hard, I swear there were an extra couple of hills thrown in at the end of it! Got to halfway in a couple of seconds over 35 minutes and started to worry a little that I might not break 70 minutes.

It was getting pretty hot out there, definitely the warmest of all four C2S's I've done. But I'd forgotten how much easier the second half of the race is, especially from about 10k onwards. And there's always the anticipation of running past the cheersquad at 13k, just thinking about that gives you such a lift.

Running the home straight I could hear Pat on the mike and so turned off the iPod and ran over to the side of the road the stage is on so he could see me and screamed out "hey Pat!!!" It was so cool, he must've announced my name at least three times.

I ran under the finish clock just as it was clicking over to 67 minutes, but forgot to sprint on to the time card people, my official finish time was 67:05. A three minute negative split and under target - gotta be happy with that :-)

23 Comments:

Blogger Toasty said...

Sweet that's a BIG negative split ... you deserved that chocolate.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

A huge negative split Tesso - well done. Was lovely to catch up with you afterwards. See you for the breakfast post-CR 5k challenge!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You're such a celebrity!
Great running in the heat, with the hills and all ;)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Hamburglar said...

Nice to meet you Tesso!

It was great to hear about your good experience at Gold Coast and I am very jealous about your long service leave.

Hope to bump into you again sometime soon.

9:25 PM  
Blogger GRIFFIN said...

Hey Tesso,
Great negative split Champ :)
Best wishes from cool Canberra.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Good effort Tess. What is this thing called 'heat' you speak of. Aren't we in winter.

9:55 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good one! I was wondering how you went. It was a little strange to not be in Sydney for C2S this year but I didn't miss Heartbreak Hill!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Those flakes are so hard to give away. Next year I'm running in costume as myself of course. Is it a bird, is it a plane, No its that idiot flake. A nice negative split. Pity Mr Dark is still retired for next year.Might see you at the CR5K.

10:47 PM  
Blogger plu said...

"Run wise I found it hard to get too enthused to bust a gut, I didn't see the point in thrashing myself and not being able to run for a couple of days."

good comment - seeing the big picture and just being able to run.

Glad you ran well anyway.

cheers PLu

11:01 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Oh if I'd have only known you were a few hundred metres ahead of me, I'm sure I would have tried harder to catch you :P
Nice finish Tesso! How long are you in Sydney?

8:41 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations on a very nice run. Negative splits are almost as good a even splits ;-)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

It must have been hot then, if you SE Queenslanders are complaining.

That was a good run - especially after your 90 minute warm-up on Saturday. Your second half was good - I was about 50secs behind you at 7k and over 2 minutes at the finish.

I see you've found a new training partner in John W Howard ;)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

See, I WAS right at GC, you do know everyone (even the commentators)!

Nice run, even nicer because you had a blast!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Well done Tesso even though I`m doing it pretty well here that report gave me pause. It was the first time since being here that I thought I would like to be somewhere else!!

Just to be safe I won`t read your blog until I get back from holidays and stick to Ewens and Steve lacey`s blogs. Reading about "hadd" training methods only makes me want to be here ;)

4:12 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Good to see you run so well after your warmup runs in the days leading up to it. You weren't wrong about the heat. It reminded me of GC Marathon 2004.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Great stuff Tesso, a well timed run!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Great result on Sunday Tesso. Congratulations!. It was so good to see you at the finish.

7:32 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

youre having so much fun down there you better remember to come back!
so when are you going to wear the camel suit at c2s?
or maybe fishnets and tiara (ala tanky)?

7:30 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Definately gotta be happy!

Tess, great seeing you on the weekend!
Are you going to come down the coast for a run?
We have some awesome scenery and flat groomed trails for you to see,you'll love it!
Let me know if your keen and we can arrange it in fact you might even be in time for one of our mountain runs?

Cheers Adrian

12:56 PM  
Blogger IHateToast said...

yeah yeah yeah, you did a great job. negative split. blah blah blah.

until you say "i'll be back in brisbane in a week" i'm not going to be nice.

just warning you.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Well done on achieving your goal time.

I'll pm you about meeting up. I've got a hectic few weeks but am here at the weekends. We have a new chocolate venue I need to show you.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Perkstar said...

Well done Tess.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Good run Tesso, sounds like a fun event.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home