Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself

Yesterday at PCRG after our warm up we had to do 3 or 4k at Sunday's race pace. I'm hoping to finish the marathon around the 3h45m to 3h50m mark so Tammy, Fi & I aimed to do around 5.17 pace. We were kind of close, a bit slow at times, a bit fast at others.

This morning I met up with more of the PCRG crew for a very easy 50mins. We did a bit of running in and around South Bank, mainly because we were trying to get our mugs on TV - the Today show was being broadcast live from there.

Mission accomplished, though if you blinked you would have missed it. Fellow PCRG-er Phil H recently took part in a big bike ride (GC to Rocky) and they raised $21000 for the charity. As he was being interviewed by Cam we ran past in the background :-)

*****

As I said I'm hoping to finish in around 3h50m at the GC but as I've only managed one 30k+ run since Canberra that time was factoring in slowing down and/or walking towards the end.

Putting my recent half mara, 3k and last Sunday's 10k times into a race time calculator it comes up with just over 3h30m. So now I'm wondering, should I go out at that pace (say 5:05ish) and see what happens? Or should I go out at a slower pace?

Either way the lack of long runs is going to get me and I'll be feeling the pinch well before the finish line is in sight.

Decisions ... decisions ...

16 Comments:

Blogger Peterhorse said...

as if we don't know which you'll go!? you might be able to keep me company for a fair bit of it - until the anti-social section kicks in (the chatter dies after 30k i noticed).
look forward to seeing you there.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I am in a similiar dusty dilemma. The calculators are saying a possible 3:16 !!!! but I feel I am a few long runs short in my preparation and I expect to fade. But by how much??

Good luck with your decision.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Roll them dice and go for 3:30!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Eagle said...

Go for it!!
Live on the wild side - lots of chocolate on Friday and Saturday and a run 3.30 on Sunday - even if you don't get the 3.30 you did have the chocolate.

7:03 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I was going to suggest something on the conservative side, but then I read Eagle's advice. The only thing he left out was eating more chocolate on Sunday night to dull the pain... :-)

You'll be fine. I know you!

Gnome

8:08 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Make the decision on the day but keep that 3:30 in the back of your mind. Good luck for Sunday (if I don't comment beforehand).

11:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Go for it Tesso! But, maybe with a bit of moderation..... The calculators say that I should be able to do 3:17, and I don't believe that for a second!

Re your question: I'll be hanging out just in front of the 3:30 pacer (aiming for 3:25), and I'll be wearing the same as the piccy on my blog. See you there!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Go for the 3:30!!!!

As you mentioned, you are going to hurt some towards the end regardless of what time you do so might as well hurt and do a time you are more happy with heh?

I am sure you will have fun out there and enjoy it all and despite the good or not so good time, will still cross the finish line with a big smile.

Just try not to get pulled off course for the blood rule again this year ha ha ha.

Watch out for curbs!!!!!!!!!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Hey Tesso,

Good luck for Sunday. Sorry I've been a bit MIA on the commenting front of late, but I'm still around. Just been busy.

I'm sure you will feel the pinch of the lack of long runs. It will depend on the weather to a large extent. My suggestion, FWIW, would be to compromise and go out at 5:10 pace (3:38). If you end up running a 3:50 or worse, then you'll know that you were never in the hunt for 3:30, but if you feel good from 33 km (who are we kidding?) you may be able to pick up a few minutes. But the reality is, those race calculators depend on you being properly trained for the distance, so don't be too seduced by it. Sorry to be the one voice of reason.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

I say go for it, if you start to feel ordinary early then reassess on the go. If you feel ok just hang in there as long as possible who knows you may suprise yourself.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Good luck with the Marathon. Hope you run fast. Sub 3:30 easy.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Tesso

At the 25K mark have this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BZsXVf6INc

come on and set your mind to pick up the pace.

If you can do this and resist breaking into "interpretive dance"
you'll do well.

All the best!!! Hope you're not "torn asuder."

10:17 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

The conditions (cool and calm) will extend the time before a fade. You just might make it in 3:30 before it hits you. worth a go in my opinion.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

Try and get into the zone early, don't pay too much attention to the watch and draft the 3:30 pack for all you're worth.

You might be pleasantly surprised when you turn for home at Runaway Bay :)

PM

3:58 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

3.30 definitely. There's a set of pom poms with your name on it.

See you soon!

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home