Friday, June 22, 2007

Countdown

Wednesday morn I'd planned to meet some PCRG-ers at The Ship Inn. It was blowing a gale outside, and a bit on the chilly side, so it was like a dream come true when I turned my my mobile on 5am and there was a msg from Tammy to say everybody was piking - whew! Hit the gym later. I was hoping to do 10-12k but ran out of time and only did 2k before getting in to my other usual exercises.

The decline continued later when, at the Dendy Portside, the 3 week pre-marathon wagon made a brief pit stop I needed a red wine to warm myself up. Went and saw new Aussie flick Lucky Miles. Its great, though not being a Hollywood blockbuster (far from it!) it probably won't get too much pubicity. When I told people I was going the first question most asked was "Is it about running?" :-) Anyway, as Molly would say, do yourself a favour.

*****

Thursday morn at PCRG was our steady run and no-watch 1k. Funny, even though it was cold nobody was whinging too much, we were just glad that it was better than Wednesday.

Once again I was totally off with my 1k - I tried for 4:35 but did 4:16.

*****

This morning at PCRG was 6 x 2 min efforts on a loop in the Gardens that must be around 500m or so. As Pat said it was our last real hit out before GC, and being a shorter session I thought I'd push myself. It felt good. And I managed not to get lapped. But only just, one more rep and Matty would have blasted past me ... and of course he let me know :-)

*****

Gold Coast .... 9 more sleeps .... we're excited!

13 Comments:

Blogger IHateToast said...

looking forward to cheering you on.

glad to see you blew off weds. get real. that was insane.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

Aaaaah Tess - glad you used my heavy breathing as motivation. I was actually thinking to myself - where is Tesso - I've normally caught up by know ;-) Top effort Mate!!

But what's this about the run on Wednesday - I did 60 mins with two shirts and gloves. Yeah it was cold but I kept telling myself it was about the same as Warwick. Wasn't until the next day I found out wind chill temp was 0 deg!!

8:11 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Chilly? You're dreaming. Minus 6 to plus 7 here in Belconnen today. And I went for a run. It was sunny all day!! If not for the sun, it might have been cold.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Now into the countdown perior proper, surely you can now afford to pike a run or two or three.

The movie, Is it about running?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

At this stage I am planning to go down to the BRRC on Sunday for the 10k. Just have to make sure I don't race too hard though. 43 to 44 minutes would be an ideal time for me.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Perkstar said...

Hey Tess - Wednesday was the coldest Run I have ever done, including snow in Queenstown - still shivering after 90mins with thermals top and bottom. Nearly blew me off the torey Bridge. Sleep in was a good option. Was a good session this morning too, especially as Pat was soft on the last effort... Mat may have caught you otherwise :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

92 Days today till Sydney Marathon. Need the long runs during the winter short fun run season. How is that going to work? Could be a few double up Sundays I think.
Good luck with Gold Coast and don't lose too much speed for C2S. Have to be JD's PB this year!

10:49 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Tess, When are you going to learn about the no-watch 1k? When you've finally sorted out the time you're going to do (including the bit you take off because you always run faster), *then* subtract another 20s. In the scientific world I think it's called the TFF (Tesso Fudge Factor) :-)

I hope you're being a good girl and tapering now!

Gnome

11:13 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Tesso

Hope the taper doesn't make you too snarky. Going to the movies and watching something unrelated to running is a good idea. It will get out a few ants from the pants.

I often rent out the DVD collection 1 thru 3 of "When Animals Attack!" the collector's edition, mind you.It always calms me down before a big race.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

The Ship Inn and Portside, I wouldn't go out to sea in that weather either!
Agree with Gnome. Definitely need to apply a TFF :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Good luck for a relaxing week and a strong run at the GCM.

Go the AB's.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Pat's not excited - his shirt is too tight to get his arms in the air.

As for not running because it's a bit chilly and blowing a gale! Really? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves ;)

9:24 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

cu next weekend tess.

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home