Monday, May 21, 2007

Warwick Pentath-Run 2007

Race reports follow. Will post again with more happy snaps and non race stories. Then again, what happens on the trip ..... ;-)


Race 1 - Half Marathon (Sat 7am)
This has to be my all time favourite half marathon course. Its point to point, Warwick to Yangan along a quiet country road. It gets hilly around 16 to 17k though the last km is downhill, and makes for a flying finish. With so little mileage in the legs of late I struggled from about 16k onwards, and the hammy problem started to make itself known.
Time - 1:42.35
Cat place - 2nd


Race 2 - 4.6k Cross Country (Sat 12pm)
This is held at the local equestrian park. The only two things I like about it are the way horses lead the pack at the start and the finish line. It was dusty, and sandy and rocky. And we had five horse jumps to tackle this year. My right leg was hurting, and not just the hammy :( I didn't enjoy it one little bit.
Time - 21:14
Cat place - 2nd


Race 3 - 5k Road Run (Sat 3pm)
Starting and finishing at the Woolies warehouse this is a two looper. Its an easy course but my leg was still hurting. I just couldn't get moving too fast. I got through by telling myself at least it wasn't the stooooopid cross country.
Time - 23:35
Cat place - 3rd


Race 4 - Killarney Ascent 10k (Sun 8am)
I love this run, its my favourite of the five. The legs felt surprisingly good too, maybe I was more worried about the cold (3 degrees) than anything else. The road is a mix of flat and slightly uphill for the first 5k then the climb starts. I wasn't travelling too badly and figured I was on target to just squeeze under the 1hr. But at about 7k I thought of our PCRG hill sessions and imagined Pat running beside me encouraging me to run harder. I got stronger and even passed a couple of people. Lizzle was a few hundred metres in front so I used her as a target, I wanted to gain as much ground on her as possible before we hit the flat and the downhill as I knew she'd sprint away from me there (which she did) and got within about 20 metres.
Time - 56:40
Cat place - 2nd


Race 5 - 1500m Sprint (Sun 11:30am)
This is an out and back up the main drag in Warwick. I worked out I was going to miss my rather ambitious goal of sub 3:30 for the five races and decided I'd gotten to this point in one piece and so there was no point busting a gut and risking injuring myself. That was until I passed the bell wearing ironwoman who'd won the half and the hill in our category .... well, maybe I'll speed up just a little. Then with 500m to go I fell in behind pink top who'd won the x-c and the 5k in our category. I sat there for a few seconds contemplating when to make my move. I ran past her. Then she ran past me. Bugger! And I could hear the bell approaching.
As I was wearing a PCRG top (wore a different one each race) I thought it was time to show them what we PCRG-ers can do so put shoulders back and went for it. I passed pink top again and just hammered it. Neither of them got me - pink top was 1 sec behind, and ironwoman 3 secs. Whew!
Time - 6:27
Cat place - 1st :-)


Of the five run I am by far happiest with the 10k. I've run hills maybe three times since February and really thought it was going to be my downfall, but in fact it was the best I felt all weekend. The absolute highlight though had to be getting past my category rivals in the 1500m.

Overall total was 3:30.xx by my watch - missed it by that much. It was my second best Warwick time, so I'm not complaining. Well, not yet. I'm off to the physio shortly.

This was the fifth staging of the Warwick Pentath-Run. There are only 5 of us who have done all 5 races at all 5 Pentath-Runs. As Glenno pointed out that's 25 races in 10 days :-) At the post run presentations we were given special shirts.

The Famous Five - Peter, Tesso, Fat Bloke, Glenno, Ross

Wonder what we'll get for our ten years ....


Edit: the back of the shirt

22 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Great stuff Wonder Woman.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

Nice work Tesso, great time too. So what does it say on the back of the shirts?

2:21 PM  
Blogger miners said...

brilliant stuff tess. Love the determination in the 10k and 1500m, and I love the shirts :)

Your recount of the XC was just a little too painfully close to home. Ah ... I remember it fondly (or rather, much less than fondly to be accurate)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Excellent racing Tesso. I like the cross country over horse jumps.Nice work on all those podium category places. Congrats on finally getting 1st at the death. Nice shirt too! JD did keep up his end of the bargain and run his 16th SMH.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Just awesome to see you running those hills so strongly. Amazed at how you keep going the longer the event. Well done.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

What an awesome weekend. I'm so sorry I missed it but my 20mins run yesterday reinforced that it was the right decision. Looking forward to next year though !

4:21 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

You done great Tesso, and nice one on the 1500m. It was a great weekend and reinforces my view as the best event of the year.

I like the shirts aswell, look forward to some more pics

5:26 PM  
Blogger plu said...

HI Tesso,

I hope you ahve pulled up swell. All the best.

Plu

6:26 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

What a great two days. Well done on your efforts and for not getting injured.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

great work on the 1500 ... and the other 4 of course! Love the t-shirt - must feel great to be in that group of 5. Hope you pulled up ok and the trip to the physio wasn't too painful!

8:22 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Well done Tesso - knew you could do it! Good on you in the 1500m too! And its got me thinking about this event next year....! So much to do, so little time!

9:06 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

3:29 isn't nearly as nice a round number as 3:30... Hope you're not too damaged. I'm not sure that I like reading (elsewhere) about how much pain you were in :-(

Gnome

9:33 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Great effort there Tess, sounds like a great weekend. I might meet you there next year.

10:51 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

What a series of runs! I'm lucky to do a 12k followed by a weights session...

Countdown 2: looks better than 1.Seems to combine Cool (Clapton,Doc N,Motels), Kitsch (Plastic,Iggie Jones - no Monica? -,M) and Schlock (Fieger,BCR,Racy). Oh and Sam Fox a non-singer.And former associate of the Bai Lin Tea guru.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Fantastic report Tesso and it made me so sad to realise what a great weekend I had missed.

Certainly will be there next year to complain with you the whole way about the Xcountry run. I hate that one too.

I was told you did great up the hills and I am so happy for you. Great time and gutsy effort for someone who has not had a big buildup to this race.

Hope the legs are feeling good still and raring to go for another week of training to get in before Gold Coast. I figure with 15km a day you can do 105km this week!!!! *grins*

8:46 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

5 races in 5 days...what a great concept.

wished we had a similar thing down here.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Ummm Tesso, if you think the cross country was stooooopid, perhaps you shouldn't try 6' after all ;)

Loved the 1500 report - I think you're a natural miler.

Are you posting photos of the 'shirt changing'?
;)

4:09 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

glad to see u not letting the hammie keep u down.
nice to catch up.
3.30 is a great time!
think i'll dub u the 'queen or warwick'.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

It's a great idea for a run. Whoever thought of it deserves the support it gets from runners like you.

You did really well with the challenge, good upon you.

Country Australia is the best!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great running:) Especially holding on for the 1500m. That's gotta feel good. Hope the hammy pulls up okay. You get my vote for Team J member of the month!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Nice work!

What a neat idea for a race!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say what everyone else has - what a fantastic idea for a race. Brutal though - lining up for 4 more races after a half! I'll remember this one if I ever move back north.

Nice work on the races. You showed a lot of grit to be so consistent!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home