Thursday, May 03, 2007

Self-Imposed Exile

Set out yesterday morning to do 15k averaging under 5 minute pace. Had Brett and Thomas for company and though the first couple were a bit over 5:00 after that we picked it up to around 4:55s. They turned for home after 5 1/2k and am happy to report I was able to maintain the pace and even pick it up in parts to cover the 15k in just under 1h14m.

Its perfect weather right now, half of the PCRG squad seemed to be out there somewhere, running or cycling.

I spent time doing my hammy stretches and strengthening exercises before heading off to physio later in the arvo. Probably not a good move as it was still a bit fatigued when I got there. He says it has improved a little but advised me to cut down to just three runs for the next week.

The way I look at it what I need to work on for the Gold Coast is speed, I've got a decent endurance base. And I can't really get stuck into speedwork with 100% effort until this thing gets better. So rather than three steady runs I'm taking an entire week off. Well, maybe six days ...

16 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Good luck with the week off - hope the hammy behaves during that time and you can get stuck into your speed work.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You can't do three easy runs? Two? Don't sit around will you;) A little cross-training perhaps.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

At lest yu havve an excuse for having a week off Tesso. I have been really slack this week with no valid excuse at all.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Brendan said...

A week off is heaven. Enjoy your week of bliss! And get the bloody rolling pin onto that hammy

10:46 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Ewen has good suggestion ... might see you riding around?

6:44 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

I've found you don't lose too much endurance from having a bit of time off - enjoy it mate ;-)

1:02 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Tesso, today you are right. But tomorrow, I AM a day over 59.

"Don't sit around in uffish thought"

1:25 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Tesso take a week off? I'm going to check back next week and make sure... :-)

Gnome

11:05 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Obviously you made a full recovery from your achilles heel problem? I was starting to think that it was terminal running wise :-(

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When your injuries get better, maybe try substituting hill repeats instead of speedwork on the flat. It's a strategy I have found that worked for me in the past. Typically there is less impact stress with the hills. But being your hammy, it might not work out that way. Just a thought, good luck with it all.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Self imposed exile, sounds like a good idea, but a couple of easy pace runs may be a nice way to start a good stretching session too.

I hope all goes well so you can get into the solid speed work.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Good luck with self imposed exile, will it last? You're right about your endurance base, I reckon you've got enough for 3 marathoners.

9:52 PM  
Blogger IHateToast said...

you're expecting me to believe you're taking a full week off? yeah, i bet. in flea time.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Hope the time off does the trick and you're soon back to flying around. Take care of it, you hear.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just catching up with reading some blogs & what do I find?? Tess with an injury! Take the time out that you've planned & be fully recovered by the time I "catch up" (not as in running!) with you at GC.

7:29 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

enjoy the break.
rolling pins brendan? gentle tennis ball is much better ;)

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home