Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Out Of Exile

I didn't quite make it to an entire week off .... but I had no choice! The physio wanted me to have a run this morning before my next visit (tomorrow arvo). Who am I to argue :-)

Went along to PCRG where hills in The Gardens were on the pgm. The hammy was a bit tight during the warmup and I thought if it didn't loosen up I'd just do an easy run on the flat, or stop if need be. Luckily it was okay once we started doing strides so figured I should test it out on the hills. I was going about 80-90% on the ups and rather than recover on the downs kept a steady pace to compensate.

It felt good :-) I'm now pretty confident I'll be able to train through this one, though won't throw myself all out into speedwork just yet.

I was talking to a guy at BRRC on Sunday who had the same condition and he said by doing loads and loads of hamstring stretching he was actually slowing his recovery. I wondered why the physio only gave me one stretch to do. From now on I'll skip the others. Hopefully in time that combined with all the strengthening exercises will do the trick.

17 Comments:

Blogger Peterhorse said...

good thing - and funny how your always end up with "i'll run through this one". interesting tho' Tesso, i had the same advice for my hammie insertion thing - strengthen rather than stretch. of course, i have done little of either and just keep on running.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

Good to see you out there Tess - once I got over the shock of seeing you make a Napoleonesque return from exile...

7:30 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

hey tesso - you can't win can you?? stretch, don't stretch - bah humbug!! Good to hear that you can run through it though! Take care!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Welcome back!

Glad to hear your hammy is on the mend. Yes, still might be a good idea to take speedwork a little easy but if it's not going to put your full recovery at risk can you post another song!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yeah, bugger the stretching ;)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

And amazingly, you didn't forget how to run.

Don't fret about the missing speedwork. Didn't someone recently say you just have to 'train long' to get faster ;)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Just run fast downhill, that will stretch it. As you know my stretching is done walking from the car. Seems to work for me.

10:10 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Excellent news Tess.

Gnomey

10:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That's great Tess. Hope the visit goes well today.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Tesso

On the subject of stretching. I heard a nice story, forgot who the players were, but one elite marathon runner was talking to another at training and asked "Do you stretch before running?" and the other said "Yes, for sure" did one, single, half squat and took off running.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

Haven't had time to catch up on blogs lately. Take care witht the injury, I know you are sensible.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Take care of that hammy Tess. :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Oh sure - blame it on the physio ;-)

Good to see you back in business mate.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That' so good to hear you're able to run again so soon, Tess. Take good care of yourself though & don't overdo things....especially stretching!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

i'm more impressed with your exile than anything else ... that's tough to do

10:35 PM  
Blogger plu said...

Hi Tesso,

I have not been ignoring you. Sorry for some reason you dropped off bloglines.

Scap speedwork- we are getting too old.

Cheers Plu

10:38 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tesso hope the bum thing is getting better each day. I'm sure it will be with you for a while but as long as you can run pain free for increasing mileage the stretches and core strength should take care of the long term injury.

If not you can always go to Michelles chiro......he loves to cut things :)

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home