Thursday, May 17, 2007

You mightn't think so but I know, you're so strong

I've been following the physio's advice (no running on consecutive days) and so that meant only two runs this week prior to hitting the straps at Warwick on the weekend. Once again quality won out over quantity and I went to PCRG on Tuesday and today.

Both sessions were in the Gardens and both were longer reps, which meant I didn't have to hold back too much. This morning's ended with hill reps so I darted out to the main walkway and did some more long efforts on the flat. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with both days, I seemed to be amongst the usual mob and so can't have lost any speed. Then again, they are all smack in the middle of marathon and half marathon training. I have the advantage of running on fresh legs :)

I saw the physio Tuesday arvo and he is very pleased with my progress and says the hamstrings are much stronger. They'd want to be, I've been very good and doing my exercises every day. And as a reward he added a few mor to the list.

Here's what he's got me doing (thank goodness Fitness First has most of the gear I need, I'm certainly getting my money's worth at the moment) ....


hamstring bridge on the fitball, holding for 10 secs


squats on a Bosu


lunges on a stability disc


theraband curls


step ups (pulling up with leg on step, not pushing off foot on floor)


plus ....
hamstring lifts on fitball, one foot off floor, lower down slowly
hamstring flicks using 1k ankle weight
hamstring wobbles using 1k ankle weight
deadlift type bends with one foot off the ground

and ....

flexing foot while stretching


Its all so time consuming, not sure how I'd fit it all in if I didn't do shift work. All up with other stretching and abs/core it takes about 1 1/2 hours. If I do my weights its over 2 hours. Add in walking to the gym and back that's 2 1/2 hrs. And then there's the coffee afterwards ...

12 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

Good luck at Warwick. Hope you can get in under the 3:30 for the 5 races. That would be good considering lack of training from you this month.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Cripes Tesso, you are so devoted to your maintenance. It's critical this stuff isn't it. That time requirement is a real killer though. Hmm....

11:31 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Tesso

Thanks for posting those snaps, I will try some of them.

I had to laugh too as the Japanese pronunciation of "Boss" is "bosu"
which makes "squats on a bosu" all the more appealing.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

i think they should add a few of those routines into warwick and make it a decathrunstretchstrengthathon. you'd win that too of course.
best of luck at warwick, will be checking the webcam or web site for updates.
p.s. have downloaded the exercises too - thanks for that.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Tesso, I have a hard time fitting in my running; how do you find the time to sleep?

Good luck in Warwick. Now I just have to find that webcam that Peterhorse mentioned so that I can procrastinate from work over the weekend.....

10:22 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Can't believe I will be the first to comment that those exercises will send you mental as anything!

1:09 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Just confirms my suspicion that all physios have warped senses of humour - I bet in his spare time he glues $1 coins to the road and watches kids trying to pick them up :-)

1:17 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

PS - good luck at Warwick - I'm looking forward to reading about it.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

With those exercises you're going to have a great arse too!
Good luck at Warwick!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Rachel!

If you dropped the coffee you could save 30 minutes. Thanks for the photos and list - a good resource if anyone needs hamstring strengthening.

I hope the many consecutive races on consecutive days go well Tesso. You should at least try and better Speedygeoff's Canberra time ;)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

HI there, first time to your blog, good work keeping those exercises going. I know what you mean about the time they take. I've had some shin & calf trouble and usually spend about 30 minutes a night on stretches but an hour+ is dedication. Have a good run, hope the hammy is okay.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

My hamstrings are tightening up just looking at those routines.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home