Monday, May 28, 2007

Don't Just Sit There

After recovering so well from Warwick and a great week of running I was looking forward to my 15k on Saturday. But from the first step, in fact even before the first step, the hammy/glute pain was apparent.

I ran with the pack out to NF Park and then turned and ran back from there with Mat & Josef. They were after a shorter run and peeled off over the Goodwill while I threw in extra - I was determined to run the maximum allowed by the physio!

I wanted to see how it all felt running faster, and with the increase in pace there was a slight decrease in pain.

I'd had a rest day Friday and spent 12 hours sitting at work followed by another couple of hours sitting at the desk at home trying to resolve a problem with my internet access. Funny that it flares up after that but two days of running at Warwick seemed to improve it.


*****


Sunday was the 7k Champs at BRRC, a race I really didn't want to miss. Still, after the previous day's experience I was prepared to not run if the pain was as bad. The goal was 31m30s ie av 4:30s ... and to get as many championship points as I could :-)

Did a 3k warmup and all was better than Saturday so figured I'd line up and race. There wasn't a big crowd as there were a couple of other running events on elsewhere. Two of my usual 'rivals', Karen and Linda, were at BRRC but on duty. That was disappointing in a way, we often work off eachother in races.

We were off and I was cruising along nicely, all my splits bar one under the 4:30 mark. After the first four km it was tempting to take the foot off the gas as there was just one girl a fair way in front of me, I had no chance of catching her, and the next ones were at least 30 seconds behind. But I hung in there, and in fact the last km at 4:21 was my fastest. Crossed the line in 31:16.

Sweet - 99 points :-) But even sweeter, not much pain :-)

10 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

Sitting around at a desk or in the car irritates my glute too. Glad to hear it was better on Saturday and well done on your 99 points.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Not a bad time considering your tale of woe (injury). Are you really listening to your physio?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hey Tesso!

Thanks for your congrats! I have been a little absent of late :-) When are you in Sydney next?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Well done! A full 14 sec. over target time is a solid result.

I know what you mean about sitting around. Sometimes after a long day of sitting I stand up feeling like all my injuries have flared up at once. But by the time I've walked 400 m or so, everything starts to loosen up and I'm feeling not so bad. Then I'll go off and run a decent track session or something.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Geez Tesso you never mentioned at breaky that you were running in pain - or I never would have let you finish your toast!!!

The good news is that you got through BRRC on Sunday with no pain - and second female so bloody well done mate!

We were out late the night before at the 21st so gave the race on Sunday a miss - well actually there was no way I could rouse Allan out of bed after the beers he and Glenno drank!

See you tomorrow morning!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

great solid run

5:23 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Excellent those no pain runs.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Great Time Tesso, and it is good to hear that the injury is coming along. Makes me jealous reading about the BRRC champs, I have missed them all this year and was looking forward to the shorter ones :-(

Here's hoping your recovery continues. Ciao for now!

7:41 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I agree - sitting around sometimes aggravates my glute/hammy more than if I was running. With me, its more a chronic thing now - I can manage the niggles but get rid of it completely. Take care

9:32 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Nice Tesso. Fast, and less pain than losing Origin 2-1 ;)

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home