Monday, April 02, 2007

BRRC 7k-35k Self Select

Saturday

As I was doing my long run at BRRC on Sunday, Saturday was just an easy day, so just did the short green bridge loop (13k). The company was great, there was lots of chatting and everybody was in cruisey moods not worrying about pace, waiting for eachother at water stops, etc. All just seemed to be happy to be out there.

That's how it should be all the time :-)


*****


Sunday

Yesterday at BRRC it was 7k-35k Self Select. That means we ran the 7k loop and you could do anywhere between 1 and 5 of them, with no need to decide beforehand. To do my A goal of sub 4h20m for the 50k in Canberra I need to run 5:10s so wanted to run around 26k at that pace. That would mean pulling up stumps 2k from the end of my 4th lap and jogging or walking to the finish.

As it turned out I went on to run the whole 28k, I was just feeling so strong. With each lap my km splits were getting faster, seemingly without exerting any more effort. I do admit to pushing it hard in the last few hundred metres, only because I didn't want to get lapped by Ron Peters who was storming home to win the 35k. With a last km of 4:36 I managed to 'beat' him .... but only just :-)

My approx av km times -
1st lap - 5:08.5
2nd lap - 5:05.5
3rd lap - 5:00
4th lap - 4:48
Total time - 2h20m32s which averages out to 5:01s for the 28k.

Plugging that time into a race time predictor it gives me a sub 4h20m for 50k. Which is a little reassuring considering I didn't race the 28k flat out. At the 21k mark I even took time out to give Mat, who was on duty as waterboy, a pinch and a punch for the first of the month :-)

So all going well I should be able to do it, or at least go under 4 1/2 hrs. Just have to get the nutrition right. And stay in one piece.

13 Comments:

Blogger Spud said...

What the hell, shoot for 5 min pace off that run Tesso...4.09:xx

You can do it!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

I agree with SPUD. 5:10 is too soft.

Great run and I am very disappointed to have not been there.
You looked so glamourous yesterday that it was hard to believe you had done a 28k race in the morning!

BRING ON CANBERRA!!!!!!!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Good running and self discipline.

Reading your post I had visions of you turning up, plugging into a vending machine 28 km, the other buttons being 7, 14 etc...

4:02 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Clearly your Taper is going well.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

And don't freeze too much waiting for the start :)

Great run Tesso - you should be confident after that! 5 min ks or just under might be fun - it'll help your concentration to be putting in a bit of an effort, rather than just doing another training run ;)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Terrific run Tesso with a super last lap. It's really looking good for you. Can't wait.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Nice run Tesso. Yeah 5min ks is easier to workout. Just do it.

11:01 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

That's the trick isn't it - staying in one piece. I think you'll be fine - just stay away from germy people!

A little birdy told me that there is a photo of you in the latest RFYL mag. Must have a looky see.....

9:06 AM  
Blogger Mat said...

Great going with the 28k. The picture is looking very rosey.

Thanks for the sholder bruise ;-) I'll get you, in 27 days.

10:02 AM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Great run there, with a nice strong finish. Seems you're lining up for a good run in a couple of weeks time.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

I think you'll run faster. Your training has been tremendous.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Thats a great effort Tesso! Everytime I pop in for a read I'm surprised at what you are up to. Now you have your sights well and truly set on 50kms I see! Great stuff! Best of luck.

MAR.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

It is great to read that you are entering Canberra fully fit this year. Anything below 4.30 will a great result but im sure you will achieve your goal.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home