Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Two For Tuesday

Spud asked about my Canberra 50k goal.

'A' - sub 4h20m
'B' - sub 4h30m
'C' - sub 4h40m
'D' - finish smiling
'E' - finish not smiling

Back in 2001 I did the Kurrawa to Pt Danger Ultra (it was only 48k in those days) in 4h21m. That was on bugger all speed work but lots and lots of long slow runs. I'd like to think I could improve on that.


*****


This morning the legs felt just a little heavy after Sunday's half, but that was the extent of the DOMS. So there was no need to hold back at Pat's. He told us this morning's session was 5 x 1 min reps, with 30 sec jog recovery, then turn around and run back to the start doing 30/30s. It seemed short compared to the last few weeks and I was wondering what little surprise he'd throw in at the end.

The surprise was there was no surprise, after that we jogged back to the Ship Inn :-)

The shortish session actually fitted perfectly into my plan to make today a double up day, I wanted to do a second run in the afternoon. What didn't fit in perfectly was the weather, it was 29 degrees when I was about to set off. So rather than the great outdoors I hit the gym and did just over 8.5k on the tready.

I find treadmill running so much more difficult and I'm wondering if its because of my short stride. I messed around for a while lengthening my stride and was able to increase the speed with no added effort. Interesting ....

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

You are going to SMASH your 48k PB Tesso :-)

Looking forward to catching up with you soon!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You forgot 'A minus' - sub 4h15m. That's only 5:05/km :)

It'd be interesting to have the HRM on while varying the stride to see what's most efficient for a given speed.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

That "A" goal looks doable with your present form, Tesso.

Thanks for that link too. How you knew about this link I can't imagine. Still I could only have understood her fear if they had been "brown pickles."

8:56 PM  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Tesso, E is OUT OF THE QUESTION, never, no way.

Even if I have to run the last 2k with you, telling jokes.

Smile you will.

9:05 PM  
Blogger miners said...

I read a great book the other day which talked about BATNAs and WATNA's. I think goal E would qualify as a WATNA Tess ...

can't offer much with the treadmill advice - not sure why that'd be the case but there's heaps of treadie runners out there to advise I guess

9:03 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

It is funny to watch how people run on the treadmill.

Though this close to Canberra I would not be working to change my stride at all. Just go with what feels best on the tready.

Fairly soon it will be cool enough to be out there running at midday even :)

10:05 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Wow you are really building up quite nicely Tess - what with double up days n all - nice work mate.

10:51 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Options A & D look good!!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

You'd go through a few album tracks while on the tredy for 8 1/2 k's :-).

I'm sorry I missed that 1/30 & 30/30 session though. That sounds like fun.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home