Sunday, March 18, 2007

BRRC Half Marathon Champs

After such a big week of training there was no way I was going to go flat out in the Half Marathon today. I thought I'd aim for around 4:45 pace but if it proved too much then around 5:00 would be okay. If I got through the 21k that would bring up a weekly total of 106k, my second biggest ever (behind the one where I did the Caboolture 12 hours last year).

The course was an out and back 1.1k before 4 x 5k loops. I ran 5:17 for the 1.1 and then for the first loop managed to sit on 4:45s or less. In the next two laps the legs felt heavy and my pace dropped to around 4:50s, Friday's 35k was taking its toll. It didn't bother me too much, just as long as I could stick to sub 5s.

There must've been something in the water at the 16k mark because after I went through I started feeling great and was able to resume my earlier pace of 4:45s or less. I passed a couple of guys and then saw a girl and guy not too far in front, she became my next target as I started thinking about championship points. I got her at 18k.

About 1km from home I noticed I was gaining on one of my training buddies Celeste. I thought it would be quite an achievement to finish not too far behind her, but with 300m to go I'd caught up. My next thought was how cool it would be if I could hang in with her and we could cross the line together as we were wearing matching PCRG outfits :-) Unfortunately for her she was really fading but I was feeling really strong so forged on. That last km was the fastest, 4:30.

Total time was 1:40.56 - an average pace of 4:46. Not sure how I did in the points race as I don't know how many members finished in front of me. The time is way off my PB, but I'm happy considering I wasn't going flat out. Best of all I felt soooooo good in that final 5km!

The Canberra Confidence Meter just shot up a couple of notches :-)

18 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Tesso, you are incredible! What a great race after such a big week of training. You should be confident going into Canberra - looking forward to catching up with you then :-)

6:01 AM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Way to keep it strong. This is great news leading into Canberra. The faster finish would indicate to me your endurance is right up there.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Great training week Tesso.
What's your goal time for Canberra, are you doing the 50?

6:17 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Good run Tesso. Looking good for Canberra with those big klms this week.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That is a great time for a half. Well done.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great race Tesso. It's so hard to keep that competitive streak under control ;)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Eagle said...

Keep the Canaberra meter on the rise.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Ewen said...

The CCM should be up Tesso. That's a fine time for 'cruising'. You did a 'Steve L' in that last km!

The higher mileage is doing you good :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

That is an enormous week Tesso congratulations. And what a top performance in the half to cap it off - lol freakish I'd say ;-p

11:47 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

PB or not, 1:40 is a great time for a half. Congratulations. Chasing down people is so much fun.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

You and I both know that you perform better on more mileage and we are certainly seeing the results from your big weeks coming through now.

You looked like you were having fun and doing it so easy yesterday - that's a great sign for Canberra.

I was immensely jealous when you were all running past yesterday but by the third lap I was looking at everyone and was glad I wasn't out there running - whilst it was cool it was certainly a tad humid as well. It didn't help that there were so many 5 & 10km runners crossing the line just in time to throw up :)

Hope you are resting today - 108km is a massive week. Take care and as Pat always says 'see you in the morning.'

11:58 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Here is a question for you. Was the strong finish despite the week of hard training or because of it?

Either way, a very solid run to top off a great week. Well done!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good one Tesso! You are doing brilliantly. Canberra and 50K ara looking so good for you.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

I remember you saying to me once that the high milage suits you and it seems to hold true.

You just keep pumping out some good results. I'd be intetrested to know what times your looking to finish Canberra in, too.

Well done on Sunday.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Wow, that's more than I'll do in the whole month! Great to see it's paying off and that's a great time. Looking forward to seeing you in Canberra.

5:00 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

remembering the 6 P's i think the big mileage is great!

I hope i can make it down to Canberra to see yall run!

Ps I met a bloke the day after 6ft from Brissy wearing a Caboolture shirt and has luck has it he runs with you!
Geoff he said his name was.

6:08 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Oh and that is sensational time for not giving it your all!

Cheers R2B

6:08 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

Well done there! That's a super result, especially with no rest days before and that big loooong run on Friday.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home