Sunday, March 11, 2007

A 50k Weekend

It was straight from work to The Ship Inn again on Saturday morning. I was a tad tired so wasn't sure how far or how fast I'd be going, all I knew was I'd follow the podiatrist's advice and avoid hills.

We all headed out New Farm way, and Kate, Helen and I settled nicely into a decent pace, not slow but not so fast that we couldn't talk :-) Helen turned for home at NF Park while Kate and I continued on to Newstead before heading back. Around the 20k mark Kate decided to slow down a little. I was still feeling good so forged on along and just ran back doing a loop of the Gardens and other stuff to bring up a total of 30k averaging 5:16s.

Although I was totally knackered at the end I was rapt considering how tired I was before I started and that the run was done on no fuel before or during the run, just water.


*****


As yesterday wasn't quite as far as I wanted for my long run I thought I'd back it up with a longish one today. After getting to bed a bit late I slept in until 6am and after much stuffing around it was 7am before I was out the door.

At the end of The Gardens I bumped into Lizzle and some of the Gale Force mob so turned and ran back to Chalk Hotel with them. I stopped for about 15 minutes for a chat and lots of cold water before running back home, doing a Story Bridge loop in the process. All up around 20k. Not sure how long it took (no watch), it felt to be close to 6 minute pace.

I thought it was hot and humid yesterday, it was nothing in comparison to today - the mercury had hit 30 degrees by the time I finished.

It was a big weekend of running. Still, I'd like to have cranked out 35k+ in a single hit. Might have to do that next weekend, though that means sacrficing 'racing' the BRRC Half Marathon. Canberra is more important I guess.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Only just catching up on your blog. I hope your foot is ok. Thanks for all your support :-)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Seems as though your foot got through the weekend pretty well.

Nice weekend total, I think I will be not 'racing' the half aswell. In fact I will more than likely only do half the half :-) Hopefully see you there.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

50 km weekend on bodgy (or dodgy) feet regardless of no hills, can't be all that bad (or was it).

Seems like you're definitely pumping out the k's week in, week out, you'll have to report some stats soon.

I had to laugh, slept in until 6 am, that cracked me up, that's an early morning for me.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

It was very bad out there this morning Tesso. I think it was the worst day this summer.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

50k in two dollops and no major limping? i'd be thinking very positively about the foot. I'm with Rob, that was the hottest day for ages.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

A 30km followed by 20km the next day is pretty impressive especially with a dodgy foot. Well done.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Mat said...

Nice very work there! That's one big weekend. I didn't realise that you'd run long on Saturday morning.

Are you hinting that you may keep going after the BRRC 1/2?

11:03 AM  
Blogger owen said...

Looks like a great weekend Tesso. We thought you guys ahd started secret support team training already... :P

See you tomorrow!
O

9:13 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Great to see the foot behaving itself. I have to admit, I think there would be more benefit in 5k directly on top of 30 than 20k the next day. The 30 + 20 model may even be counter productive due to injury risk and so on. I'm not dogmatically saying it is, just that it might be. And similarly, we shouldn't just pop out and do a 35 km run because we haven't done one in a while. There still needs to be some concession towards gradual progression. So 30 km this weekend, 33 next, 35 the weekend after...but I don't have a view of your overall racing calendar etc. Just an observation from afar (very afar ;-)

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home