Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Most People I Know ...

... are a bit sad today after hearing about Billy Thorpe. I'd just finished a great (but tough) run and was feeling pretty chuffed. Until I found out. He grew up in the same suburb as me (Moorooka), about a mile from my place. I remember as a kid as we went along Beaudesert Rd we used to point up in the direction of his house and say "Billy Thorpe lived there".


*****


On the pgm at Pat's yesterday was 1k, 500m, 1k, 500m and 1k with 40 - 45 sec standing recovery. I was knackered before I even started, a combo of a big weekend of running and coming straight to training off night shift.

My times were -
4:00
1:58
4:08
1:57
4:01

As others were still doing reps those around me had to finish off the session with 1 minute out and 1 minute back, just what I felt like doing ... not!

Considering how tired I was I was pretty happy with those times, and wasn't even too disappointed with that shocker in the middle. To be honest I was ready to pull the pin after the first rep, if not for the enthusiastiasm and encouragement from the little pack I was running with I probably would have.


*****


This morning the idea was to run 21k at 5:15 pace. We thought we'd do the Boarder's Half Marathon course in reverse (ie Regatta/Orleigh Park Ferry Terminal/Regatta). Running with Clairie, Toasty, Robbie and new guy Brett (for the first 6k) I really was struggling to keep up. We got to halfway smack on 5 minute pace, a little faster than planned.

As they all stopped for water (I was carrying mine) I switched on my iPod and started running back, wanting to get a bit of a head start. With the music going I got into a 'zone' and even managed to increase the pace very slightly for the return trip.

It really was hard work, and took all my concentration. The humidity didn't help. But I managed to finish in 1h44m, so averaged 4:57 pace. I was totally spent but very happy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Not of my generation, Tess, but always sad when someone dies.

Anyhow, very pleased you haven't lost sight of me in Beta blogging!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

That's fantastic work, especially for a mid week training run. I'm so glad I didn't come run with you guys this morning, phew!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Yeah, that was sad. Much too young.

A couple of good days there Tesso. The times for the intervals were fine. As for the pace of that 21k... how do you do that?!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I even started to sing the song when I read your post title.

60 is way too young to have to leave this life.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Hope Billy's gone "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home