Monday, February 19, 2007

BRRC 10 Mile Champs

Saturday morning set out with the usual gang and ended up running in a little pack with Clairie, Lizzle and Kate E (as opposed to Katy), all of us planning to do the 24k river loop. After a few kms Clairie and I changed our minds and said we were taking the Go-Betweens Bridge to cut it back to 18k. Got to the bit where you turn for West End but went straight ahead to bring it back to 13k. Then we didn't even run back to The Ship Inn, went straight to Poppy's instead so that was a lazy 12.5k. Meanwhile the other two girls stuck to the original plan. It was great to have Kate E joining in for not just her first ever Buddies run, but her longest ever run to date. And she did it easy, a future marathoner for sure.


*****


Sunday morning was the 10 Mile (16.1k?) Champs at BRRC. I thought 5 minute pace might be a struggle after last weekend ... and after the odd red on Saturday night.

Surprisingly I travelling very comfortably, knocking over the kms around 4:45 to 4:50 pace. I felt I could have picked it up another 10 seconds a km if was serious about the race. I even stopped for a while to fiddle with my iPod after the headphones came out. There were only two girls in front of me, Clairie had been cruising and was behind. However she started revving things up and at about 9k passed me ... but not before I was able to punch her in the belly :-)

With 1k to go Matty had stopped and was waiting for me. He had been running with Clairie for a while but must've got sick of nagging her to run faster, it was my turn to cop it now. It worked, my last km was my fastest even with the shenanigans that were to follow. 100m from the end there was Clairie leaning on a railing pretending she had a stitch so I could catch up. It was an Academy Award winning performance. The three of us ran to the finish together but Clairie and I stopped dead a metre or two short and much to the amusement of onlookers some argy bargy broke out as we tried to push eachother over the line first. Clairie won (the fight).

So I was more than happy with a 1:17 (av 4:46) for that one. And to finish 3rd which was worth 98 points which is likely to be the best I do all season. I won't come close to that at the next championship race in four weeks time as its a half marathon and there'll be loads more people. And then the rest are 'short' - 5k, 7k, 10k and 14k. Unfortunately they've dropped the 25k. It was the one where those of us who prefer the longer stuff did relatively well.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Why did you change your mind for the Saturday run. Big change from 24 down to 12.5 km

That's a decent pace for the Sunday run. I'm hoping I'll get back to that.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You ran 1:16 for 16k and which included STOPPING before the line? Noice!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

sounds like fun...fun while still doing 4:46's for 16k!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Toasty said...

You forgot to mention Clairie having 3 coffees before we arrived for breakfast on Saturday morning. You need to keep her under control better than that!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Mat said...

Nice work there!

And knowing you, this is you taking it relatively easy :-)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

"argy bargy" and "punchings in the belly," you know there's a future in mud wrestling for you girls if you decide to give up running.

Although you two don't spend as much time in the dirt as Ewen and Tuggeranong Don. (for those that don't know those to are prone to the ocassional slip).

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I'm thinking now, that was a bit quick. Even if you did stop to applaud Clairie's acting. I hope she doesn't need that performance at Canberra!

Scott, what do you mean?! We're just vertically challenged, that's all.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home