Monday, February 12, 2007

Caboolture Dusk To Dawn - 6 Hours

I hardly had the perfect prep leading into this year's D2D - since November long run wise I'd done one 30k and one 35k, nothing further. And there was the little lapse in running in early January after my confrontation with some concrete steps. So my 'A' goal of 60k for the 6 hour race was a tad ambitious, though I was confident of getting my 'B' goal of 55k.

Clairie and I arrived nice and early to set up. After we got there a guy pulled up beside us in the car park to asked us something. He then pointed to the girl in the passenger seat and said she was doing the 50k (in other words the 6 hours). I didn't really see what she looked like.

About 10 mins before race start RD Geoff Williams wanted competitors to stand around in groups depending on what event they were entering but not all did. I knew all the ones in my little pack, no sign of the girl in the car.

Before we knew it we were off and running. I settled into a good steady pace, a little faster than my plan (I went through 10k in 53:20) but it felt comfortable so I saw no reason to slow down. After a bit more time I wondered where this 'strange' girl was. At around the 2 hour mark I knew I was ahead of all the other 6 hour ladies but what about her??? Not that I'm competitive ;-)

There had been one girl who was within meters of me most of the time and I wondered if she was the one. Just after 9pm she was still out there (all relay runners would have changed over by then) so must've been a solo runner - but 6 or 12 hours??? I'd lapped her a couple of times by that stage but still really wanted to know. So I sidled up beside her and asked how she was going and introduced myself ... and innocently asked if she was there for the 6 or the 12 :-) She was doing the 6. In hindsight it was good she was out there, I would've slacked off otherwise.

Rewinding a couple of hours now. Around 7.30pm a huuuuuuge storm rolled in - lightning, thunder, the works. It absolutely poured down. Thanks so much to Clairie & co who rescued all my gear and put it under cover before the storm hit. I would have been totally stuffed otherwise.

The track became really muddy in parts, there were big puddles everywhere, and one bit was like a river crossing. That sort of thing you can put up with, what was awful was all the dirt and stones etc that end up in your shoes. With every step I could feel pebbles and crap inside my socks, masses of blisters just waiting to happen. Not to mention the aftereffects of changing my gait as I was trying to move the stuff around in my shoes while running (as you do).

I persevered until the rain stopped but there was no way I could or would continue running like this. More big thanks go to Mat for getting my other set of running gear from the car for me. I only changed socks (I figured new shoes would just get muddy and wet anyway) and lost 3 minutes or so but after that felt a million bucks. That honestly was the difference between finishing and a DNF.

So three hours to go now ... kept on running ... yada yada yada. Hit the 50k mark in 4h51m and was pretty sure I was the first female to do it so stopped for a quick celebratory chat with my running buddies on the balcony of the pub :-) Another few minutes down the drain but what the heck, they're my mates!

At 55k (5h25m) I was totally knackered and decided 58k would be 'good enough'. But after a very brief walk (about 100m) I changed my mind and told myself to go for the 60k. Those next few kms were so incredibly tough, but I thought of a friend whose wife has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and what they are about to go through. Compared to them my battle was easy, all I had to do was run, simple as that. Those final kms were dedicated to them.

I got to 60k in 5h55m and kept on running. I was rounding the final bend to the finish line when the hooter blew, so by my guesstimate it was about 60.7km.

Congrats go to Clairie for racking up a faaaaantasic run - read about it in hear blog! Although she didn't have to run in the rain (she started at 9pm) she had a wet muddy track to contend with. I am in awe of you :-)

Congrats and thanks to other Brissie bloggers ....
Toasty - who along with teammate Geoff scored a podium finish
Shane - who surprised everyone, including himself I think, but being a last minute entrant and doing his longest run to date
Matty - who reminded me of a little kid out there running in the rain, he was having a ball while most others where whinging
Hannah - who did so well and was so so so wise in what she did (lookout Glasshouse!)
Tanky - who battled through 12 hours with a very dodgy ankle, but came out the other end smiling
Cirque - who would take the trophy for most cheering done in 12 hours if they had one
Mat - who should've been resting after a super loooong training run in the morning came out and helped and took photos and cheered us on

It was such a great night. As a bonus I picked up some bling (50k champ and 1st lady in the 6 hours), and a great prize pack of Sports Shield and Blister Shield. I was just about to buy some of both! Best thing is my legs aren't too sore, not even as bad as after half marathons. I'm not even hobbling!

Throughout the race I didn't eat a lot - maybe a couple of dozen jellybeans and a few salt and vinegar chips. I had 300ml of protein drink, about 1/3 bottle of Powerade, and water. Maybe some V, can't remember. I think that was it. I'm wondering if taking the protein drink throughout the race was the secret to the lack of serious DOMS. Its gotta be that or the bacteria in the lukewarm burger I had at 1am.

Thanks very much to all for the advice and messages of support, they sure mean a lot. Being out there for six hours one has lots of time to think, and thoughts like that helped get me through.

And thanks and credit must go Pat for being the best coach. He makes us work out gizbets out in training and come race time you can't help but reflect on all that hard work and why you did it. That last half hour I had visions of him standing at the side of the track saying "dig deep".

Needless to say I'm a very happy camper right now. Its not so much achieving my dream goal, or picking up a couple of trophies, but because I felt so strong for most of the race. I really don't know why, guess I just had one of those nights :-)

22 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations Tesso. That is an absolutely fantastic result. You said you were happy that you felt strong at the finish, but you also had to dig deep mentally to get through those last five km - true grit. I know you mean it when you say you are in awe of Clairie (aren't we all!), but I would suggest that you inspire more than a little awe around the place yourself.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Yes Tesso

You did an incredible thing out there. Found your "tinker" too, you know the one you thought you lost the other week.

For mine you've got the heart of "Phar Lap."

Something strange, you know there is a small shop that sells hamburgers near my house and it is called, no shit, "DOMS" you may be on to something there.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Ha Ha yeah I just could not finish that burger. I can't believe the boys forgot about them after we reminded them so much!!! How funny - Geoff apparently begged the canteen to make up some for us before he left.

Tess you just gotta be so wrapped with you result. I am the most excited because we both achieved our goals and it makes it that much nicer to share your glory with a friend also celebrating her run.

I am mind boggled how you ran so steady for 6 hours - I only did it for half that time and was not much faster than you!!! Far out woman you are going to blitz in that next race you do. Well maybe not the TT on Friday night ha ha ha we might need our zimmer frames still then.

I'm suprised I don't have DOMS either. Though I have a sore knee but I'll tell you more about that later. I agree that forcing down some protein afterwards really helps.

I'm keen to get out there and run again - which is a positive sign.

I can't stop smiling and thinking of your race. You are a champion and to answer Steves comment - I am TOTALLY IN AWE OF YOU.

I know how undertrained you were, yet still you can just pull it out of the bag. That's sheer committment and dedication to the cause.

Okay I'll stop now......***BIG HUGS****

11:17 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Sorry "That's ticker" that must have been a Freudian slip as I like the occasional "tinker".

11:18 AM  
Blogger Mat said...

That was a totally amazing run you did there on Saturday! You just looks so strong and consistent all the way through. It makes me proud to know you. I was so glad I'd gone up there to watch.

It was great to see all of you (and to be able to rest at the pub as I did it :-0).

12:10 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

You beauty, bloody legend. What a tremendous achievement Tess, I'm rapt for you!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Bennyr said...

That was an excellent report of an excellent effort.

Well, done, Tesso!

Cheers,
Ben

1:43 PM  
Blogger miners said...

I was going to start this post off by saying something about congrats for such an unbelievable race ... but that never fits when we're talking about Tesso.

You continue to amaze me with how strong and resilient you are Tess. Great effort at racing so strongly and picking up (yet more) bling.

I'm suspecting having the mystery girl out there (I was reminded of Charlie Brown's little red-haired girl) probably got you through a lot more of the night than you expected? I would have been counting sheep and reciting 13x maths tables by the 2 km mark ...

3:14 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Well there is no doubt about it Tesso, you certainly have secured your place among the Running Royality. You rule in my books.

Congratulations and a big HUG!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

What I remember most, was towards the end of my 3 hours, having had enough, and seeing you still running strong thinking "how do you do it?".

I admire your ability to run so well for so long. Congratulations.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Amazing effort Tesso, you astound me the way you can just keep on going and look so comfortable doing it.

Congratulations on the bling and the title of 50k champ. Very deserving :-)

What was suprising was how good I felt, considering I just ran 30% of my yearly mileage that night. I also experienced very little DOMS and today I don't feel like I have run at all. It had to be those burgers, might order a whole batch for the Warwick weekend ;-)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Incredible Tesso! You are one of the gutiest people I know. I'm soooooo happy for you :-)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Yeah, it was just one of those nights. Nothing more.

Tesso, you are amazing.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

Congratulations Tess! Unbelievable stuff. Goal A+plus. Running so strong for so long is not for those without ticker (hope that's been settled for good). Can't wait to catch up Friday for more reports! I hope your friend takes some strength from your strength too - best wishes to her.

9:09 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Rocks in your shoes, lukewarm hamburgers at 1am... You make sitting at home seem like so much fun! :-)

Congratulations on a ridiculously good run. Glad you're still vertical :-)

Gnome

9:21 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

u forgot to thank me for looking at the radar map at home and ringing vegie to tell her that the storm was coming! ;)
so what do u call it when u do better than your 'A' goal?
and A plus maybe?
well done tesso.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tess, I'm in total awe of what you have just completed! So very proud to know & have met such a great little girl!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Great run Tesso.

After all the set backs of late, it is all good news. You could say you are 'fresh out of blues'. But obviously not hung like a mule ;-)

10:47 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Woo Hoo! What can I say that hasn't already been said? Excellent run; fantastic that you achieved your A goal; you do work hard in training for your results so its all well deserved. Whenever I feel like slacking off I think of you and clairie! That gets me going again!
Can't wait till you guys are in Canberra in April!

8:37 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Wow, that's just awesome Tesso...congratulations on reaching your A goal and getting to the top of the podium :) Inspiring stuff, especially taking into account the recent obstacles you've overcome.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Great report there Tess. 60 for 6 (sounds like a cricket score) is a great effort, especially when only getting in two 30+ k runs leading up to the event.

Is there something in salt'n'vinegar chips that I should know.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That is an awesome and very motivational effort there Tesso. I'm glad you made the Plan A goal. Anything else would have been....plan B!

By the way. What is rain?!?

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home