Monday, January 29, 2007

I Roam Around Around Around...

I had the weekend away in Sydney ... no away from from running though :-)


*****


Saturday - CR 5k Challenge

Even with a minute or two to go I had no idea what I was going to do in this one - really push it, try to do a steady pace, find somebody to run with in a certain time, whatever. Before I knew it JD and Rags stepped up to the start line, I think it was for the 22min group, so I joined them.

We all went through 1k in around the same time, I had 4:21 on my watch. It felt really comfortable, I'd even been holding back a little. The next three kms however got ugly - all over 4:30. I just didn't have it in me to push any harder :-( The final km couldn't come soon enough and I managed to lift my game with a few hundred meters to go and posted another 4:21 for a total time of 22:20. 40 seconds slower than my last 5k a few months ago and almost a minute and a half off my PB.

On the plus side I got to enjoy the company of 2P and Blue Dog on the run back to the start during which The Dog assured me the leach proof fence in New Guinea kept the Kakoda Trail free of the slimey little critters.


*****


Sunday - Long Run

JD and I set off to run the Strider's 'Western Wanderer' course. I didn't think it was a good idea for me to do the whole lot, it was a 3k run to the start point, and the full course measures 32.3k. My longest run since March last year was 28k in November so we figured out where I could drop some kms out and bring it back to 30ish if necessary.

At 8k we were dead on 40 mins, and the next few kms weren't much slower. There was no way I was going to be able to keep this pace up so we both slowed just at bit. At about 21k armed with the trusty directions and map I headed back as JD ran an optional 4k loop.

I had studied the course and knew exactly where I had to go. Pity I didn't go there. Parramatta Rd wasn't supposed to come into the equation, but it did. No wonder they call it the Western Wanderer:-) With around 28k on the Garmin I eventually landed in Timbrell Park and was in familiar territory. I wanted to throw in a strong finish and so ran couple of sub 5 min kms which felt great.

All up 30k in 2h34m, an average of pace of 5:16s. Gotta be happy with that.

Lots of work to be done before Canberra though. Lots and lots.

15 Comments:

Blogger Samurai Running said...

I'd be well happy with a long run like that this far out from Canberra Tesso.

In fact I did an almost exact long run yesterday and felt it was going to help me in my Marathon 3 weeks from now.

But now you've got me thinking I've got a lot of work do; "Lots and lots"

11:27 AM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

...oh yeah, just couple of sub 5min k's at the end for good measure...all that walking seems to have paid off huh!?
good work Tesso!

1:52 PM  
Blogger miners said...

damn - 5 min kms at the end of a 30km+ run? I don't think there's THAT much to be done before Canberra after all!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

I would be very happy posting a training run like that. There is still a good 2 months before Canberra. Continuing on at that pace you would have posted a low 3.40 marathon.

Im sure with a few more weeks of solid training, that will be easily achieved.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

That's a great bit of effort for the one weekend. You ShoulD be happy with that!

No comment about getting lost (a little) :-)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Wow, great pace for a training run mate - you are running hot!!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

So that's where you got to. I was expecting to see you both at the STaR. Now that was a fun run!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

You'll be on the Recycled water by the time Canberra comes around, and it won't be four XXXX.

8:15 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good to have you back!

You'll be fine for Canberra - don't go getting impatient and do something silly! Just remember it wasn't that long ago you were walking, remember!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Tesso, I think you'll be fine. 5:16s is not hanging about - especially as you had to resuscitate the run after going a bit quick early.

Also... you raced 5k the previous day! I won't mention that you finished in a time 2P and I would give our right arms for (well, maybe a 6-pack).

9:10 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

They should get those leach proof fences on all trail running routes.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

It sounds lke you had a great time in Tesso. Your Canberra training is back on track. I glad JD went on to do the extra loop...it's in his program.

8:02 AM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

That's a really solid long run Tesso...didn't take you long to bounce back. Only missed you in Sydney by a day or so!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Parramatta Rd is the western wanderer! It moves around all over the bloody place :-)

5:18 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hmmm Beta huh? No wonder I haven't seen you come up on bloglines....

It was fun on Saturday - I'm just looking forward to the movie release of leechproof fence....

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home