Sunday, January 21, 2007

BRRC 14k

Today's race was really just going to be a training run, I went in there intending to go around 5 minute pace for the 14k. I started running 4:45s to 4:50s and didn't feel too uncomfortable so I just stuck to that.

Got through the first loop (7k) in 33:27 but about 1k on from that started to feel crook and wanted to slow down. Well to be honest I wanted to stop. But I told myself to keep up the pace until reaching blogger Shane who was marshalling about 1k up the road. After seeing him my goal was to get to the 10k mark, and then to the water table just before 11k. This table is right at the start/finish and I came pretty close to pulling the pin, but instead walked for about 30 seconds and then dropped back to around 5 minute pace for the remainder of the race. Finished in 68:22.

Not sure why I wasn't feeling well, my energy levels were low. Probably didn't eat enough last night. And it was quite humid out there. I spoke to three people who bailed mid race because of it, there could have been more.

Excuses aside, there's a fair bit of work to be done if I'm going to survive 6 hours at Caboolture in three weeks time.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I could help Tesso, even though I didn't know I was until now ;-)

Tough run today, it was quite sticky out there. The one thing about feeling crook on a run is that 99% of the time you feel much better the next time you get out there.

The main point is that your recent injury caused you no grief whatsoever and you know that within the next week you will be back out there training hard.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running is a very good excuse to eat more.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I've been reading, it seems there have been a few people have been feeling very ordinary on their runs lately - maybe it is the weather.

Hope you're feeling better soon. The way I see it, we have good days and bad days - same for running. Hope your next run is great :-)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

You're race report sounds like something I would have submitted. After so many non running days it's amazing how fitness is affected, I know, I'm experiencing that at the moment (though I'm not coming off an injury).

Could luck with your your training for the 6 hours in 3 weeks.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always find it interesting hearing what runners are thinking, when, to the rest of teh world it looks like they are just cruising. Glad to know i'm not the only one who feels like slowing or stopping sometimes. The difference is Tesso, you don't!
The return is sounding very promising.

7:49 AM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

They say running is just as mental as physical. Yep we are all mental!!

Today you got time on your feet and that counts for something. Hope you feel better during the week.

TA

8:21 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Yes Tesso

there are so many variables that go into a what makes a "good run" and what makes a "bad" one.

It's still a bit of a mystery to me. Well done for finishing just the same and don't worry about not feeling ready for your next race deadlines, or races, tend to focus us and you'll be ready when it comes around.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very glad to hear no reports for SIL problems.

Don't forget its been 14'ish days since the SIL injury and only your 2nd chance to run. And your 2nd run out was a 14km race! You did still do it in sub 5 min pace as well.

Besides, if every run was a great run, then we wouldn't be able to tell the good runs from the bad runs. Yeah, I don't understand that sentence either :-).

9:55 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice comeback run Tesso - so whatcha aiming for in 6 hours?

10:52 AM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:42 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

(oops spelling mistake!)
yep has been a bit of a hot/humid week.
a good excuse for lying on the couch watching tennis/cricket i say!
68 aint too shabby for a training run!!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Sorry you weren't feeling the best Tesso. I'm sure you'll be fine for the 6 hours. Experience counts for a lot in those things.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm impressed that after 2 weeks without running that you could even run that distance!

Good one!

Glad the SIL didn't rear it's ugly head.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home