Thursday, January 04, 2007

Two Steps Forward

Each morning before or after my run I take my upstairs neighbours newspaper to their front door. Well, like most runners, I'm awake before everyone else ... except for the guy who delivers the paper :-)

Yesterday the steps were really wet from the rain and so no prizes for guessing what happened as I merrily trotted back down, high from both the great big run and the great big mug of coffee. At least it was only two or three steps I 'missed'. Still, I reckon I hadn't even landed and thoughts of not being able to run for a while flashed through my head. All things considered I came out of it lightly - a bit of skin off my lower back, a bruised elbow, and another huge bruise on the left side of my even lower back (er, butt).

This morning I was a little stiff and sore and wondered how Pat's session would go. The warm-up down to West End didn't hurt too much but the fast strides we had to do once we got there did .

On the pgm was 2 x 1500m, with a 45 sec recovery, and 2 x 500m (same recovery). I started off slowly and just increased my speed to something that felt okay. As it turned out I was running a consistent 4:30 pace. To make up for it I reduced the recoveries to either a few seconds or nothing at all.

Actually, it was only when I landed on my left foot that it was uncomfortable. As Anna said I shouldn't complain as it only hurt 50% of the time. No wonder she's such a great politician :-)

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it easy. Sometimes annoying injuries can result from seemingly innocuous incidents. Are we going to get any photos of the lost bark.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess I can't believe you did that to yourself. The only positive thing to come out of it is that you took it easy this morning. No doubt you will be able to do the same session tomorrow and go strong.

Maybe it was Karma telling you to have a restful run this am.

Take it easy mate we've got a big weekend ahead of us!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch, sounds like it was painful, hope it is nothing but a few minor bruises and scrapes.

Am i mistaken but does rundave want to see your um..."even lower back" ;-)

See you on Saturday

5:17 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Gosh, take it easy Tesso. I'm unilaterally extending our 'not ITB injuries' rule to 'no injuries' full stop !

I'm with Clairie - karma's trying to tell you something..like don't run down the stairs.

BTW If I'm doing Six Foot, when are you??

6:44 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Any pics :-)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I am glad there was no serious injury Tesso. In future just throw the newspaper up onto the landing.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the injury heals pretty quick Tesso so you can get back out there chasing Clairie.

9:53 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I had to look at the comments - I assumed that there'd be heaps of 'Butt' jokes and was sadly disappointed to find none...

Go easy for a few days. If you've crushed a muscle (been known to happen - wanna see the photos? :-)), then pushing it too hard too fast will be counterproductive.

Hope I'm wrong :-)

Gnome

9:55 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's OK - at least you didn't do it half way down the first steps at 6' ;)

10:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ooh, that's gotta hurt! Hope you heal quickly.

7:17 AM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Hope nothing comes of the incident. I know all about those silly little things that happen and always have the same immediate thought - hope it doesn't interfere with my running!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From recent experience I have some inkling of how you must feel. Get well soon!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! You poor thing. I'm sure everyone has done the same thing as this at one time or another.

I hope pain goes away for you quickly.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Tesso that was a worry, but a relief to see nothing too serious came of it. Please take care.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Wow Tesso

That could have been worse! As Yoda would say. "Lucky are you!" the force is strong with you. Happy New Year and hope your back to your best soon.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Tesso, are you just trying to make things tougher for yourself? Glad you were still able to go to Pat's session so things could be a lot worse. Are you doing Dusk to Dawn at Caboolture this year?

10:05 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

Could have been worse Tess, you could have slipped running up the stairs and faceplanted!

Might be appropriate to remind you of the wisdom of the great racecaller, Des Hoysted - 'Never run up stairs, never bet odds on, never knock a champion' :)

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But did you have a good trip?!?

10:15 AM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

thats why i never do any good deeds for others!
funny comment from our next premier :)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Ouchie! Glad no serious damage was done at that would have been a v.v. bad start to the year.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Ow, I hope the bruising wasn't too bad and you are back running with no problems!

Stu

4:04 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

OUCH! I'm sorry to hear that Tesso. So much for good deeds never going unrewarded. Hope it heals quickly.

8:59 PM  
Blogger miners said...

geez mate - that's a good way to allow yourself to sit on the sofa a little longer than the holiday season justifies! Take care of yourself :)

And happy new year, and thanks for all your holiday wishes. Bike was very appreciative

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home