Thursday, December 28, 2006

And So This Was Christmas .....

and what have I done ....


Christmas Day was the traditional Brisbane Running Buddies Xmas Track Ssession. This has been going for six or seven years and when it started out was a serious session with lots of 400m reps. Its kind of degenerated into 'whatever'. So this year after the warm-up my 'whatever' was participating in the all out 100m race and then doing a couple of Yasso 800s with Lizzle. We finished off the morning with champers and OJ, lots of fresh fruit and some yummy things provided by Little Tara including the best chocolate brownies.


*****


Boxing Day morning was cool and wet so it was hard to resist getting out for a recovery run (recovery from the food and drinks of the day before that is). I was at my sister's at Cornubia and even though I didn't head out until after 8.30am conditions were perfect - cool and rainy. With the Fatass run the next day I didn't want to do too much so it was just an easy 7k, most of it on pathways through Cornubia Forest Park. Noice :-)


*****


Yesterday was Fats Festive Fat Ass Run, another Christmas tradition. Most of my regular running buddies didn't make it because they were working, or sleeping in, or aren't waterproof. A couple aren't too well (real lurgys, not self inflicted Xmas ones) including Lizzle. She and Glenno came along but just for a walk. So I was pretty happy to see Mat, Shane and Geoff there amongst the crowd of about 25.

The start was at The Gap where there is a graded forestry trail that goes up (and up and up) to Mt Nebo. The finish point, or turnaround for those doing the lot, is 24k. It ends at a cafe that Fat Bloke had organised to be open up for us. My plan was to run out for about 14k and then run back to the start again.

Mat, Shane and I stuck together the whole way, though did have various others with us at different times. At 14k we had to make the decision, do we keep on going another 10k, mostly uphill, or head back to the start which would be longer but mostly downhill so easier. We took the shorter but tougher option - we'd got that far and had never run the whole way to Nebo before.

It was such a relief to hit the cafe, fast guys were already there getting stuck into brekky. With the rain and the well below normal temps it was quite cool so the hot coffees went down a treat. Hard to believe on this same run last year it was so hot and humid we all nearly melted!

Thanks to fellow bloggers Shane and Mat for keeping me company on what has to be one of the toughest runs on the calendar, and for suggesting we go all the way to the top. And extra thanks to Mat for providing jelly beans and not whinging too much when I kept taking the black ones :-)

12 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

well i don't have any weapons for you to purchase like my friend above, but sounds like you had a great running weekend! And some good food too. Hope the recovery is going well... (from the celebrations that is...)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Glad to see you haven't slacked off Tess, belated seasons greetings to you too. Catch you in the new year. ;)

11:20 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Well it sounds like you had fun too!

Getting to the top of a mountain is always a good challenging experience.
48km would have been a bit much though!

I was thinking of doing coastal classic on 6-7 jan but just have no idea!Can you point in the direction of your blog account of Caboolture?

Cheers R2B

1:52 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You must be the most dedicated runner! Track on Xmas day and a wonderful Fatass run. What a great get together and you must have been feeling good to run all the way. It's amazing how much more energy we have from all that Xmas food!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Airsoft man sounds like a nice chap!

Good to hear you had a good Chrissie and managed to be ver disciplined and get all that running in too.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting in some sekret hill training?!

Speaking of christmas lyrics here's just a bit of Things I want by Tenacious D:
"Hey now Santa I'm writing to you,
Cos there's a lot of cool shit I want
I know I've been naughty but cut me some slack,
Cos there's a lot of cool shit I want,
So here's my list-a,
So check it out twice-a,
I waaaaaaant,
A solid gold Harley with machine guns on the front,
I waaaaaaant,
A Motley Crew lunchbox filled with sticky buns,

I want a see through jumpsuit that fits me tight,
I want all of the Beatles copyrights,
I want to chop Florida off the map,
I want Pamela Andersons speedo top..."

2:19 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Glad to see someone is training hard over christmas.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Black jellybeans are my favourite too!

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful Christmas and that you are planning to be a "new years loser" too (I love that!)

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats good no slacking over Christmas. Johnny Dark was looking pretty smooth on Christmas Day around the bay. You'll have to push to keep up with him.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a great run. My thanks to you. By chasing you and Shane, I got up the top much quicker that I would have otherwise :-))).

Happy new year!

11:06 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Great to hear you've had yourself such a fun (and extremely energetic) Chrissy Tess :) Look after yourself these holidays and we'll catch up again real soon!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog!!!! Come and visit my site too!!! No wait, I am real. So that's where my friend CJ has got to. Please send her back home happy, fit and tanned. And fit and well.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home