Monday, December 18, 2006

Lessons Learned From Rocky 1 To Rocky 3

I spent the weekend in Canberra as a good friend was turning 50 and required my valuable assistance to help her celebrate - a tough job, but somebody had to do it. To get it done properly, though, I needed to work up a thirst and fellow bloggers Tuggeranong Don and CJ were happy to help me do just that.

So Saturday morning Don and I headed out from Mawson shops at about 6.30am. Along the way we discovered he worked with a girl I went through school from Grade 1 with. Small world!

We got to the base of Mt Taylor but realised we didn't have time to climb it as we were hooking up with CJ at 7am. Bummer ;-)

CJ said she was planning an easy 13k, and that sounded perfect on top of what we had just done. Ready to go with her was Steve, he was going to give her (and us) a bit of a look at what she'd be running the next day in the Tour de Mountain. By that I thought he meant we'd be running the flats and looking up at the hils. Wrong! He took us up and along Isaacs Ridge, then up and back Mt Wanniassa.

It was the toughest "easy 13k" I've ever done! All I could think was poor CJ had to go back the next morning and race it, plus throw in Mt Taylor to boot.

Steve is such a mountain goat, I've never seen anyone fly down hilly trails like that without fear of going belly up. Before the last big downhill we asked him how he did it. I tried to put what he'd told us into practice and it worked - you learn something new every day. Unfortunately Don, on that same downhill, also learnt something about tempting fate when he uttered the now famous last words "I never fall over running" :-)

What a great morning! A tough run for sure, but the fantastic company made it well worth the effort. Thanks so much to Don, CJ and Steve. Now I was ready to party.

Actually, I was ready for a nap ... but after that I was ready to party :-)

16 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

If you ask me, a run AND a sleep are necessary ingredients in any pre-party preparations !

5:51 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

So how does he do it???

Great to see you made it home in one piece. Judging by your speed this morning it it obvious they didn't exhaust you too much.

Good to hear the party was a success. I thought you meant you were drinking water and pretending it was vodka when you said you were avoiding the shots ha ha

8:01 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

That's great Tesso

Did you know that "Wanniassa" translates into Japanese as "Morning crocodile." Sounds appropriate!

Be careful going off road too much you might get hooked.

9:52 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Nice Cornershop reference. Sweet guitar sound.

Foxtel is so addictive to me. That is when I can get my wife away from watching baby shows and cooking shows.

10:07 AM  
Blogger miners said...

I reckon my nap would have extneded past party time unfortunately

so what were the tips? Run like you're 12 years old? (I've heard that one before)

10:59 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

So what did he say?

Sounds like a great run Tess but geez I dunno about starting to go to 50ths..... ;-)

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you were still in one piece this morning after the hilly /\/\/\/\/\ run, and the party :-).

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you were still in one piece this morning after the hilly /\/\/\/\/\ run, and the party :-).

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you were still in one piece this morning after the hilly /\/\/\/\/\ run, and the party :-).

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you were still in one piece this morning after the hilly /\/\/\/\/\ run, and the party :-).

And what was Steve's downhill advice?

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you were still in one piece this morning after the hilly run, and the party :-).

And what was Steve's downhill advice?

2:49 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Gee that would have been tough for CJ. Sounded like a good run, but not really what you would call an easy one.

Hope the party went well :-)

6:44 PM  
Blogger TD said...

The pleasure was all mine Tesso and wonderful to see you again. I would love you to meet the Saturday group and maybe we can do that before long. Hopefully I will catch up with you in Brissie over Christmas.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I thought CJ was only 45.

Sorry I missed the run - I know some good short-cuts on that one. Did Steve tempt you with Six Foot 2008?

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I only learnt to run upstairs fast from Rocky. Good to hear the running didn't get in the way of a party.

9:43 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

gee tess i'm starting to think u have a coolrunner in every port ;)

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home