Friday, December 01, 2006

Some things never change

I couldn't get to Pat's yesterday morn so went along today instead. On the pgm was 2 x 1500m with a 45sec recovery and then 2 mins out, turn around and run back (no recovery!).

My 1500 times were -

5:57 :-)
6:08 :-( <-- funny, it didn't feel that slow

Even though the legs and lungs were objecting 45 seconds later it was time to go again, running up the road for 2 mins. Like the earlier reps I tried hard to hang in not too far behind Ally, its great to have somebody to chase and she is so consistent with her pacing. She, Kelly and I all got pretty close to the 500m mark before we had to turn for home.

Coming back Kelly really kicked in and egged me on to keep up. I got to the finish in 1:53 :-) That 7 second negative split almost made up for the earlier shocker, especially considering it came at the end of the session.

I've been training with Pat for over three years now. I can honestly say it never gets boring even though we've done the same sorts of sessions many times. But still he comes up with new things, or twists to old things.

One thing that has never changed in that time is the encouragement everyone in the group, from the fastest to the not-fastest, gives eachother.

And the comment they all make at the end of every session .... God that was hard!

9 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

it sounds like a great bunch tesso :) i am fortunate enough to have PLENTY of people to chase...

keep enjoying!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Whenever I read about your Pat sessions I think 'God that was bloody hard and thank god I'm not doing it!'

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dream of one day having times like your so called 'shocking' splits :-)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Yes Tesso,

I've been with Pat over 2 years as an online student and the sessions he sets are always interesting and challenging. Even though I never run them with anyone else just knowing that you guys are doing them too helps me better get thru them.

I don't know if I could continue consistently with the efforts if I wasn't a part of this group, albeit in a far away way.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

So, Pat is god? Just a 45 second recovery - that's mean!

Can I borrow your sub-6 as a race time?

4:22 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

What's all this about checking out the men with prams Tesso. Do you have some news for us?

7:32 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Tess - and great times too ;-)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

You do have it good Tesso, I wish I could come more often, the group is very encouraging to all levels which is sometimes hard to find.

Those splits are pretty good, close to 4 min/k pace, nice negative split for the 2min out and back.

I hope you continued past the finish line for those 7 secs and didn't take the easy option though ;-)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Sorry I haven't dropped by in a while. BTW one day I want "shocking splits" like yours
;-)

Hope the rest of the prep for K goes well!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home