Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sydney Sojourn

Saturday morning ran the 'dog loop' bay run with JD, 11k all up. I wondered why he called it the 'dog loop', until we ran past the park where doggies are allowed to roam free. The cafe there is called Cafe Bones. We didn't stop for a Pupaccino.

Did 20 push-ups afterwards ... not girly ones!


*****


Sunday I was hoping to do a 96 something for the SMC Half, in September I ran it in 97:55. Up until the 10k mark (went through that in 45:44 or thereabouts) the leading lady had been no further than about 100 meters in front. I was starting to tire, and contemplated slowing down and joining Eagle on the 'K Bus' but when we hit the hill just there I started slowly gaining on her and passed her right at the top of it. The glory was short-lived though, she soon flew right past me.

By the time we hit the long hill up to the traffic lights I managed to pass her one more time, thinking she'd get me back for sure as soon as we hit flat ground again around the corner. But she didn't. A couple of kms later when I did the u-turn to head for home I realised she was about 30 seconds behind.

With about 4k to go I put the foot down a bit. The Gnome wasn't too far in front so I had a target and in my quest to get him kept the girl at bay and even passed three or four guys. I didn't get any closer to Gnomey, he must've known I was chasing him :-) When I found out later the girl who came in second is a much better runner but she'd been sick all week I felt kinda guilty for passing her.

My time was 97:39. Not quite what I'd hoped for but I'm not complaining as it was an improvement on last time.
And I didn't taper at all.
And I finished strongly.
And it was a bit warm out there.
And I'd had a glass of wine or two (okay, three) the night before.
And ...................... (fill in the blank).


*****


I didn't really feel like a run Monday morn but wanted to check out the new Glebe foreshore path that Amjan and Fats had mentioned. So cruised on down there - noice :-)

Ran around a few Annandale streets afterwards to make the time up to 30 mins.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strong run Tess. Well done. :)

11:25 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Well done Tess!

I wish i hadn't scratched now!
Felt crap though...

Your certainly making Sydney your second home.

Are you thinking of 6 foot too?

R2B

11:33 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

AND you're a Team J legend

11:40 AM  
Blogger miners said...

"...wondered why he called it the 'dog loop', until we ran past the park where doggies are allowed to roam free. The cafe there is called Cafe Bones. We didn't stop for a Pupaccino.

Did 20 push-ups afterwards ... not girly ones!"

lol - not doggy style push-ups I presume? - oops can't believe i just typed that :o

Nice effort for the 1/2 considering the obvious sabotage being plied on you the night before

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice run and always good to be on the podium with the trumpets blaring...

Why has Sydney suddenly become so popular? And who is JD?

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And more to the point, why did that comment get allowed through when usually blogger doesn't allow me to comment on non-beta blogs ... or have you gone beta? Blogger is a plurry mystery at times.

1:01 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Another great race by you there, Tesso, and 97.39 is damn quick. To fill in the blank......I am sure you went to bed early the night before as all good runners do before a race. :-\

1:22 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Tesso

Congratulations on your run, with a taper you could have done even better for sure.

By the way on any of your trips to Sydney do you get over to the mean streets of Manly? That's my home town and the run from North Curl Curl beach to Fair Bower beach is just fantastic.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

And you were dehydrated from the four glasses of wine ;)

2:59 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

And you were dog-tired from the previous day's efforts. ;)

5:54 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

And you just didn't have enough mongrel in you on the day. That's the best canine analogy I have sorry :)

Great run though Tesso, and a pretty speedy 10k split aswell. I hope you are not running the second leg at Kurrawa :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Congrats on a great run on Sunday Tesso. Even if you were dehydrated
;-)

So does this mean you'll be putting in a special guest appearance on Friday night??

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super run yet again. You seem to generate much interest in your reason for travelling nowadays.
Let's just focus on the running. And the 'Hooks.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Missed you in Sydney again, bar the passing during the race. Good run setting you up nicely for a good Kurrawa 50k.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

what's with all the push-ups? Great to see you running so strong.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home