Monday, November 06, 2006

BRRC 3 x 5k Relay

Saturday was my first venture over Mt Coot-tha in almost nine months. Clairie and I started early and did 5k before joining the others. After the big downhill we ran back to The Regatta via Park Rd so it was 23k all up.

It was a run worthy of a longer blog entry - nice and cool, a little rainy, great company, yada yada yada, but I was too tired afterwards to write it up. Now I just can't be bothered with too much detail. Other than I made it all the way to the top without walking :-)


*****


Sunday was the BRRC 5k Relay and runners were colour coded - 20 mins or under was red, 21 to 26 was green, and over 27 was yellow. You had your hand marked and then you had to cruise around and try to find two others of different colours so you had a team of one of each. Fun!

I was a green and straight away I hooked up with Cassie from PCRG. She was borderline yellow, her 5k PB being 28 mins, though she said she might well be able to do sub 27, she wasn't sure. We soon found a red guy, Wazza, and he said he'd run first. Cassie was after a longer run today so joined a second team who needed a yellow and ran the first leg for them, and followed it up with the third for us.

After the first 2k (an out and back) Wazza was in front! And he was even further in front by the time he got back to the start/finish for me to take over. That meant for me that I had absolutely no-one to chase, and this played a bit of havoc with my pacing. The first couple of kms were around 4:26. I managed to improve on that and ended up crossing the line in 21:58. Oh, and our team was even further in front :-)

Cassie was off and after the first out and back had about 30 seconds on the next person. A few people watching who knew all the runners chasing her said she didn't have much hope of keeping them at bay. We all hung around the finish line waiting waiting waiting for the first runner to come around the bend and down the little hill.

Woohoo - it was Cassie!!!! She had run 25 something and, after a similar time in her other team, actually ran two PBs in just over an hour. What a legend :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

An ekiden, how cool!

Congratulations on the big win Tesso,. You certainly know how to choose your partners. When you go to the races, do you always pop over to the stables and check out the lines? Speaking of which, tomorrow is the Melbourne cup isn't it!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

that is such a cool idea for a race! nice running too :)

4:40 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I know exactly what you mean about being too tired to write entries up and then not being bothered with the detail I think quite a few of mine will be like that over the next couple of months!

Congrats on the win too!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

You ran so well on Sunday - especially after the run we did on Saturday up Cootha.

It was great to see Cassie come over the rise on Sunday - everyone just assumed that the male runner would get her. She was at least 20sec in front of anyone and ran the race of her life. I was ecstatic for her and your team.

It was very much my privledge to call you up and give you the trophy!! Next time you are in my team!!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home