Monday, October 23, 2006

BRRC 5k Champs

Met up with Lizzle a bit early on Saturday and we put in about 4 1/2k before joining the rest of the bunch at 6am. We ended up doing 21k. I was hoping to do a bit further but in the last 5 or 6 kms the legs felt the way they do near the end of 35k run, it became a real grind.

*****

Sunday was the 5k Champs at BRRC. My goal was 21:30 (ie 4:18 pace), well 21:29 really. So for the first time ever I set the virtual trainer on the Garmin up. Ran a bit of a warmup with Clairie. And a bit with Robert Song who told me about his celebrity encounter (an ongoing one too) that, believe it or not, is more impressive than my Bobby Flynn story.

After a few strides we were off and running. I kept a close eye on the Garmin the whole race, and stayed slightly ahead of my animated little running mate. Watching this means you don't see the time at all. With 100m to go I was still in front of him and figured I had it nailed, but still upped the pace just a little to put in a big finish.

Yay! The Garmin told me I'd averaged 4:16s and beat my goal by 8 seconds. But then a guy who finished right near me said something about our times being "21:50 something". Huh??? I felt like I'd really busted a gut and that I'd run better than the CR 5k Challenge a few weeks ago (my time there was 21:43). I pushed a couple of buttons on the Garmin to get the summary. According to it I had averaged 4:16s .... but it measured the course at 5.13kms and so my total time was 21:54. Arghhh!!!!! It was 21:22 at 5k.

Apparently the course mightn't be accurate and had recently been remeasured, but not yet altered. At a post race committee meeting this was to be discussed. I hope to find out the result today. Meanwhile I am left to ponder whether if I'd just used my normal Nike watch to pace myself if I would have, or could have, done an official sub 21:30.

17 Comments:

Blogger Clairie said...

Tess if you had used your watch I do believe you would have busted a gut to get that time - and achieved it.

I feel the same way - that I was not really hurting in the first 4km so maybe if I didn't use the Garmin (or anything) I might have gone harder. Certainly I won't be wearing a watch at the TT next week.

Will update you on the course news shortly.

BTW - congratulations on your Bronze medal for THIRD OVERALL in the ANNUAL BRISBANE ROAD RUNNERS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! WOO HOO.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

For anyone reading this CLAIRIE WAS SECOND OVERALL in the ANNUAL BRISBANE ROAD RUNNERS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! DOUBLE WOO HOO!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Never trust a Garmin! That said I hope the course is long ;-)
Congrats on your bronze medal too. Noice.

8:58 AM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Well done on the medal Tesso (you too Clairie). Why would they remeasure the course but not alter it?

9:15 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

It must be frustrating.As you know there is always something to be learnt. You might want to run a 5KTT on a track in the near future just to show yourself that you can do at least under the time you set for this one.

Congratulations on the Bronze nice work.

9:58 AM  
Blogger miners said...

oooh ... the suspense!! Makes a race all the more exciting don't you think?

and btw - stop being cheeky over at my blog ;)

12:26 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Kind of like waiting to hear from the video referee....

Mate if you felt like you busted a gut then that is all that really matters.

Nice 5k (plus bling) no matter how it comes out ;-)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thats annoying!! good work though I would love that 5km time! Well done on the bronze... such a nice colour!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Don't you just love those short/long courses. So frustating when you bust a gut to do a good time and the course isn't accurate. Maybe Action should have gone up for a surprise visit.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Bronze and Silver - I like it!

Congrats on thrashing the Garmin - even if he was having an off day. I guess you can claim a 5.13k PB ;)

8:03 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Hope the ref gives a good call. In any case you beat your virtual running mate across the line!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Well done on the bronze.

Bobby who??

10:01 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Well done Tesso, sounds like the speed is returning, no matter what the Garmin says. I must admit I would never wear the Garmin in a race and I am not a firm believer that the Garmin will give an accurate measurement, I have seen too many times with 3 Garmins on different wearers and 3 different measurements.

Anyway, congrats...

5:46 AM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on a great run Tesso. We need to send Action up there to make sure you get an accurate 5km course. At least you know your Bay 5km time is certified.

8:11 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

oh bugger re Garmin!
What you could do was set a goal pace a second or 2 faster on it.

Besides you know you would have smashed your time if it was reading correctly!

Time to head to the track and run even splits and then you will know for sure!

Congratulations also on your New Bronze Bling Bling!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

That would really p$ss me off! I hope the course was really long and you did even better!

Congrats to you and Clairie for your ae bling.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Good running there Tesso. I'm not sure if you're aware but it is possible to set up the Garmin in Virtual Man mode and during your run switch back to normal mode and therefore clearly see your stop-watch time. Flicking back to Virtual-Man mode is also possible. The toggle button is the 'mode' button.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home