Saturday, October 14, 2006

Home And Away

I missed my Sunday morning long run as we stopped overnight Saturday in Coffs and wanted to hit the road fairly early to get back to Brisbane. So instead I moved it to Monday. I ran out to the floating walkway at New Farm and back, 16k all up. I struggled a little with motivation, guess that's what happens when you aren't used to running on your own. Afterwards I finished unpacking from Sydney .... and started packing for Adelaide, I was heading there late in the afternoon for work for a couple of days.

*****

I'd planned to find somewhere in Adelaide to do a bit of speed work Tuesday morning but woke up feeling a touch fluey so opted for a normal run. I wanted to find 'the lake' where RunDave would be running in the Corporate Cup the next morning. One ex-Adelaidian had tried to tell me there was no lake there. After exploring a few streets and some of the river I found it. Well, its not really a lake but the river does widen a little :-) I'd forgot to take my Garmin with me but going by the time I was out there I guess did at least 17k.

*****

Wednesday morning I still wasn't feeling 100% but didn't want to miss out on meeting RunDave so I ran around a bit and then got to 'the lake' just before 6.30am. I did a bit of stretching and watched the hordes of people signing on and running or walking in the Corporate Cup. I'm amazed at the number of people participating in this, its fantastic. This month's Runners World has a bit of a story about it and other similar events. Anyway, there was no sign of RunDave, I wasn't sure exactly what time he'd be there (you start when it suits you) but figured if I ran the course in the opposite direction I'd eventually see him.

I'd done a fair bit of the loop when I saw a blue and yellow cap hurtling towards me - RunDave! As he flew by I said I'd see him at the end. It was so exciting, he crossed the line in a PB of 16:12 for the 4.5k course. I thought he was moving fast! I can't wait to see what he can do for the final run of the series in a fortnight. We had a bit of a chat and it was time for me to start heading back so he joined me for a couple of kms as his warmdown. Ha ha, his warmdown pace was the faster than I'd run all morning! By the time I'd got back to the hotel I figured I'd run about 14k.

It really was fantastic to finally meet RunDave after visiting his blog for so long - it made sitting through two days of a boring work meeting worthwhile. Wonder where I can con them into sending me next time .... hmmmm, now who haven't I met???

8 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

This time I've been away.... great to catch up with all of your meanderings over the last little while - actually it's me who should thank you for the 5k - if you hadn't of come along I wouldn't have managed to turn an absolute shocker into just merely a lousy run ;-)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

How about Osaka, Japan Tesso? See what you can do to get here on a work trip. I'd be happy to show you around.

Even though I've only just started to write my blog I've been reading all the runner's blogs out there for a year or so and I'm sure
everyone is happy that your back and writing again. They would agree the blogosphere has been a little quiet without you.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

I like your easy weeks, with all that travelling and being on holidays you still mange to clock 40k+ weeks.

Maybe I need to have more holidays and get a job that sends me away :-) Do you need a trainee?

1:41 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

He was moving fast! Dave's a good runner. He told me they don't have the spare water to waste on a decent lake down there ;)

Hope you're feeling better.

2:28 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

Aww shucks (blush). It was great to meet you too Tesso. Sounds like your job description could be subtitled "Tesso's neverending quest to meet CRs across the globe". Sorry I ran so fast in the warmdown, I must have been amped up from the run still.

Funny you should say that about water Ewen. I recall on the morning that there was a leaky sprinkler near a bridge flowing all over the path and trying to fill up the "Lake".

I think CR Derwood said the other day that if you piss in the Torrens, it actually improves the water quality! lol

3:31 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

You've been doing as much jetting about as me recently! I'm off to Adelaide this week so I'll have to see who I can meet.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Never heard of the River Torrens being called a lake. Very funny.

5:58 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Welcome back Tesso - missed reading your daily entries! was wondering where you'd gone! Next is Noosa? When is Canberra on the agenda?

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home