Sunday, September 10, 2006

BRRC 25k Champs

There was a great roll up of CRs and PCRGers at BRRC this morning. It sure helps on a run like this where you have to do 5 x 5k loops to be in such good company. Though it didn't seem quite the same without Clairie who was away for the weekend enjoying a much deserved recovery from all her racing of late.

My PB for an accurate 25k was 2:01.43 and I set myself an A goal of sub 2 hrs for this one. I didn't set a B goal. But I did have an A+ goal of beating JD's PB of 1:57:56 :-) My 3k time trial indicated that I could go sub 1:57 but I haven't done many long runs lately. In fact 25k would be my longest in over six months.

I did a bit of a warmup with Langy. Hannah reckons our warmup was so fast it was more like a hotup :-)

Heading out on the first lap of the race little Clare was ahead (way ahead!) and there was just one other girl in front of me. I didn't recognise her and when I caught up checked her hands for the obligatory mark indicating she was a member competing in the champs. No, nothing there .... she can run as fast if she likes :-) And she did!

The first three 5k loops I felt pretty comfortable and was trying to hang in just behind Robbie. By the 4th he was moving faster and I had to really focus on maintaining my pace, especially going along Montague Rd where the headwind picked up as the morning wore on.

Doing the maths at 20k I figured sub 2hrs was a definite and the A+ goal was within reach. But from about the 21k mark onwards I really started to struggle to do 5 minute kms and was feeling the effects of lack of mileage. The splits for each 5k loop tell the story -

23:10
23:07
23:16
23:52
24:57 <- holy fade factor!
=======
1:58.22 <- yay, a PB!
=======

So, not happy with dying so badly in that last loop but have to be happy to go sub 2. And if I don't count the 100k at Caboolture in Feb, my one and only time over that distance, this was my first PB of the year.

I managed to hold my spot as third lady in the race (and second member). As usual Parmy was always threatening, she'll be a force to be reckoned with in 2007. I scored a nice 99 points in the championship race. That helps sew up another goal for the year, I was aiming to finish in the top five but after today have secured third .... or first, if you don't count the Cla(i)r(i)es :-)

23 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo!!! Sensational run Tesso - congrats on the PB. JD's time will soon be history ;-)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Gotta be happy with the PB. So close to JD as well.

Can you challenge for 2nd with a good result in the 5k champs?

8:14 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Well done Tesso, you look comfortable this morning and so glad you got your goal time. The wind made a difference along that road, it was tough for me doing only two laps.

Cass appreciated that you are thinking of her also. Take care.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Onya Tesso. Sharp time there matey. Nice PB. Well done. :)

8:47 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Heya - now there's some exciting news! Huge congrats Tess! That's superb after your early probs in the year after Caboolture.

hmmm - around 30 seconds to catch JD? Maybe it's time for a comparison table of the other JDPBs you're chasing ;)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Woohoo!

While this doesn't surprise me, you sill had to do it..... and you did. What a sensational effort and result of lots of hard work. I'm so happy for you.

9:59 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Good one Tesso! A PB is a PB regardles and you did well even with the fade factor. What's next?!!!

Oh, and Zwinky girl blinks every now and then. However if you are seeing her do other things then.....????!!!!!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Well done Tesso. Nearly had JD's time as well. Congrats on the third ocerall for the year. More bling!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations on both achievements Tesso. A well-run race and great report about it!!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Congrats on the PB Tesso. JD's PB is in real danger. I guess you are just trying to keep him on his toes.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

Great job Tess! Look forward to seeing you down this way soon :)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Fabulous effort Tess.

A big reminder to both of us to get out there and do our long runs if we hope to be able to do any of this ultra running stuff in the next 6 months.

Caboolture is not that far away you know!

To only slow down a minute for the 5km is great considering how much you felt you had slowed. I don't think there is much more work to do aside from a few longer runs.

Will be fun doing them too.

So starting this Wednesday...whats our long run status?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

Congrats on you huge PB. I hope you celebrated well. I am now thinking missing this week's LSD will assist in next week's half ;-)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great race! Well done with the PB :)

10:35 AM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Once again you manage to produce the bunny from the fez... well done!
Mrs BB sends a message for next weekend:

"hands off Dazza - he's mine!"

12:20 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great run Tess! Sub 2hrs is awesome :-) I wish!!!

12:42 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Yeehaaa what a fantastic PB - and on your longest run for 6 months - very stylish!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Well done Tess, good effort. Isn't it strange how we're never satisfied and I'm sure you'll crack that other time as well.

2:02 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

must be great to get back to the pb's tesso!
more to come i'm sure.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Good on you Tesso. It was such a good morning and a joy, once again, to be running with you.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That is awesome Tesso. I like the slow last 5 km's. Next time you could strip 1 minute off your PB.

8:37 PM  
Blogger TD said...

I'm so happy for you Tesso. A PB is always special and you tell it so well. That "hotup" seemed to do the trick (although I suspect your great level of fitness and your wonderul attitude came to the fore again).

10:20 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Who counts the Clairies?

That's an excellent PB Tesso, especially considering your injury dramas from not so long ago. You inspire me.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home