Friday, September 08, 2006

Put Up A Parking Lot

Wednesday morn I was too tired after work to run so slept. Plodded around 10k that afternoon. I forgot to take my watch, probably a good thing.

*****

At the risk of sounding like a broken record Thursday morn I was too tired after work to run so slept. I considered another plod in the afternoon but was afraid of getting blown off the bike path, the wind was incredible. So instead I hit the gym with the thought of doing some 30 sec efforts on the tready.

Dumb idea, it takes so long to speed the thing up and slow it down. I only did a few then one longer one. I threw in some reps at high elevation and after that just ran steadily for a while. I find treadmill running so difficult, 5 minute pace felt like 4.30 pace or faster. After what seemed like forever 30 minutes had passed, I was drenched in sweat (so humid in there). I'd had enough.

*****

I thought Pat's this morning was going to be just a 50 minute run plus the no watch 1k. When I opened the garage door at 5.20am to leave home I discovered it was like a used car yard out the front and somebody had parked me. I thought maybe I should just go back to bed and do the session on my own later. Unfortunately for the young guy visiting the girls in the flat next to me I decided I'd rather go to Pat's :-)

I'm glad I did because we had 15 minutes or more of 30 second efforts, probably the perfect session for me with the 25k race on Sunday.

13 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

When I read the title of your post I thought you had started the guess the song thing too! Now I feel frustrated because I keep singing the line in my head, but I can't think of which song it's from!

I used to run on the treadmill when I first started running becuase I would get sore shins out on the footpath, but I can't stand it now!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Toasty said...

try cranking up the treadmill to 3:30 pace .... it takes a little while to get over the fear of being shot out the back and going splat against the wall behind you

10:35 AM  
Blogger miners said...

sounds like that was the perfect type of prep for the weekend Tess.

oh, and by the way, when I was younger "parking" meant something altogether different ...

12:12 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Perfect! Sounds like you're all prepped up for a good run this weekend. Damn shame I am going to miss it.

Run hard for me won't you?

Try to keep that Eddie just a few metres in front of you - he'll be a great pacer going by his previous times. He also does a very steady run - no positive or negative splits. Good sort that one!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Is it only treadmills?

Lately 5:00/km has been feeling like 4:30 for me no matter what the conditions.

Oh Rachel, the innocence of youth, not knowing that the lyrics come from Big Yellow Taxi. Now you'll be able to sing more than one line ;-)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

D'oh! Of course, but I was thinking of the Counting Crows version.

4:53 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Hey Tesso, if you want to pick up on the Robert Song Song thing too, okay with me.. maybe I'll do it(I'll just need to update my blog)
Now, I promise not to google for answers.

I think we all know the answer is Jonie Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" circa 1972.If you tweak your Fri 01/09 title slightly you have a 1971 song by Flake. Do you remember it?
Good luck on Sunday!

6:23 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

Its funny I feel the opposite about running on a treadmill I feel like 5:00/km to be 5:30/km
I think its just a matter of getting used to it.
Good luck for Sunday!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Don't you just love the stamina of young boys these days: first he "parked" you and then he was up all night "parking" the other young girls next door.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

The only time I preferred running on a tready was when I was living in Wodonga Vic, it save me from turning all shades of blue during winter.

Thanks for the nice comments, Good luck for Sunday, I will be there but will not be doing the 25k lack of training for obvious reasons.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

I don't like the idea of the treadmill as running is an outdoor activity. Good luck with the BRRC 25km. I am sure you will run well.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

At the risk of sounding like a broncoed record, wayne bennett has to go to the roosters next season.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

We saw that "parking lot" from the Joni Mitchell song during our bus tour of Hollywood! It's now a mall and bank. The paradise paved over was the old Garden of Allah hotel.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home