Tuesday, August 29, 2006

500m Reps

With a 7am start I parked the car at work and ran over to South Bank for Pat's. It was raining ever so slightly along the way but wasn't at all cold so couldn't complain. We had 500m reps at the stretch under the Story Bridge. Pat told us we could choose our own recovery time ... hmmm, 5 minutes sounded good ;-)

I'm calling what we did 500 meter reps but according to the fasties the 500 may not be quite 500, but 'about four seconds short'. Last year I was averaging around 1:55s on what we know was accurate.

But back to today. The others I was running near set off for the second rep 50 seconds after I finished my first and I went with them, so to be consistent 50 seconds became my recovery. Pity my reps weren't so consistent ...

1:51
1:51
1:59
1:57
2:02 :-(
1:54

The first, third and fifth one finish on a slight uphill, but still it was no excuse for that 2:02 blow-out. A couple of months ago I'm sure I managed only a couple of sub 2mins for these (on this course) and the rest were just over 2 mins so progress is being made.

After the last one there were still runners out there so Pat got some us to do a couple of 30 second efforts rather than just standing around puffing. Then it was a steady run back up to and up Gold Coast Hill to finish off. As I have of late I found this such a struggle. I'm really gonna have to get back into some serious hill work.

From there it was straight into work for me, so it was a shorter than normal warmdown. And I didn't get to enjoy any of the usual post run treats.

6 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

Nice reps Tesso. Well hill work is needed as well as speed work eventually I have found. Small children passed me up a hill on the weekend. Well she was 15 and doing the 10.5k instead of the half.

11:24 PM  
Blogger D said...

Tesso...I'm just catching up - my blog reading has been lacking...you have certainly been busy. Nice reps!

11:31 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Not a bad set Tesso and if it was "about 4 seconds short" then you are back right on track!
Well done.As for Pub 2 Pub if you come down i will run with you (if i can keep up!Seriously!) for the half way option (25km) can start at either end or half.The scenery is apparently magical.Must get that long run past 15km quick smart as i am very busy lately.Send me an email, address in my profile page.

Cheers Adrian

9:02 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Those splits look pretty impressive to me :) Hope you do come down for Central Coast half. We'll all be there!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Pat is definitely going soft.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Congrats on the improvement made with the 500m reps, the first rep may have been the reason for the > 2 min rep.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home