Monday, August 28, 2006

BRRC 14k Champs

With the 14k champs the following day on Saturday I just did an easy run. I was ready early so did 2k before joining in with the rest of the crew at 6am and doing another 10k. I stuck with Jan, Tori and Little Tara until The Gardens where I turned for home making it 12k.

*****

Sunday morn birthday girl Clairie and I met at the rego table about 25 mins before the start of the race. It was great to see somebody so excited about a day most others dread! We'd decided to wear our matching outfits (the new Noosa tops and CR caps) to make ourselves look fast :-) I've been trying to post a pic but blogger isn't co-operating.

After signing in we set off on a 2k warmup and then did some strides before lining up to start. Just before the gun went the race director called Clairie out and got the entire crowd to sing 'Happy Birthday' and she had everybody laughing by doing a little jig :-)

The plan was to try to run around 4:30 pace and therefore finish in 63 minutes. The other more important goal was to finish in a good position as championship points were up for grabs.

It was 2 x 7k loops, the course slightly altered from the last 14k. My splits for the first few kms were fine - 4:24, 4:24, 4:33 (stopped and grabbed a drink). But then they were all over the shop ranging from 4:09 to 5:17 - a few misplaced markers I think! Went through halfway in 31:56 which was a little behind schedule.

At about 8 1/2k Shane sidled up beside me. I wasn't sure where he came from as he was way in front before that, must've had a pit stop. It was great as I knew I was the third member with the fourth about a minute behind me and was thinking of easing off a little. But he kept me honest and got me moving along steadily until we caught up to Clairie a couple of kms later.

I was able to stay just behind them most of the way home, and even passed them for a very very very brief moment 200m from the end. I knew it wouldn't last but it was fun for the bat of an eyelid that it did :-) I came in a few seconds behind them with a time of 63:53.

So nice even splits but a little off target. Though rumour from a club official had it that each loop was actually 120 meters long. And Garmin wearers confirmed that. Whatever, it felt good out there and it was over a minute faster than my last attempt at that distance at BRRC in July.

12 Comments:

Blogger miners said...

and no photos of the jig either I presume ...

1:37 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

I too have been having problems with posting pics on blogger.
Nice running Tesso, see you Saturday.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

I remember the race in July as I was freezing doing the marshalling with no jumper. You certainly ran better yesterday, just a shame that the markers where incorrect.

When you snuck up behind us towards the end I thought you were just going to continue on past. It definetly made Clairie increase the pace :)

5:19 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Great run Tesso.
Mrs BB has started the Daryl U Spunk quilt and is looking for helpers. You've got me into some trouble, girl!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Sounds like a you had a good race. What's 53 seconds between friends.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Happy birthday Clairie!

Can't argue with being a minute faster Tesso. I'll have to imagine the fast looking photos ;)

The last time I tried I had to use 'Hello' to get photos up.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

A fabulous run with a fabulous friend. Though don't kid yourself Tess - if i had not gone out so fast you would have finished way in front of me. You are a very consistent and strong runner!

Good on you for catching me up and then going past. You are well and truly back from injury and I think it's great that we can run together and push each other.

Don't ever doubt that - you really really make me work hard and I appreciate it so much.

Thanks buddy.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Nice work champ!! Only a whisker off your goal :-)

12:36 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Tesso - good to see you as consistent as ever ;-)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

A minute a month hey? Keep it up for a few months and who knows where you'll end up.

2:04 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Beautiful running, Tesso. Your pacing is almost spot on and mentally you seem very tuned in for a good race. The way you and Clarie run togther and trade vibes with each reminds me so much of some other running friends of mine who are much the same. The positive energy that you guys give to each other is something that the rest of us can really learn from. I love your posts, Tesso.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Getting stronger and faster all the time Tesso. No surprise to see you still going well this morning. I'm happy to see you doing so well.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home