Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The 500s were 500!!!

I met up with Clairie and Toasty at 5.30am for a planned 17k or so. We headed via Riverside to the stretch underneath the Story Bridge. With conjecture about the accuracy of our 500m rep course we did yesterday here was the perfect opportunity to test it, Clairie and I were both wearing Garmins.

She decided to stop there for a stretch so Toasty and I ran the strip up and back, and it measured a few meters over 1k. So yep, we can safely call it 500 meters! Then with Clairie it tow this time we did it again (and it measured the same) and then continued on to the end of the floating walkway.

On the return journey Toasty and I threw in a loop around the Riverside shops while our companion had a pit stop. By the time we got back to The Regatta we'd done 18k in 1h32m, an average pace of 5:07s.

Today was great, I felt like I was moving along pretty effortlessly. After being reminded about the benefits of fueling up before a run (thanks to Ellie's blog!) I'd set the alarm for a little earlier than necessary so I could have a bit of my Usana protein drink before we ran. It helped for sure, my energy levels remained constant right until the end.

So feeling very chuffed now. My 500m reps yesterday were better than I thought and then this morning's run was one of the best longish training runs I've had in ages. Its all good!

13 Comments:

Blogger Toasty said...

It is all good .... like I said you are running well, enjoy it.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

It certainly is all good! You ran well and looked so strong and I would go so far as to say your running is BETTER than this time last year.

You are certainly faster and that will also improve once you (WE) start doing those long runs again!

Can't wait for next weeks Wed run to do it again!!!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

love being a good influence :) i'm onto the testing phase of fueling before hard workouts/races... i'm not convinced yet...

7:04 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Wonderful to hear that your running is going well and is so enjoyable now Tesso.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

It sounds like you had a great run Tesso. I'm happy for you.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Well done Speedy.Johnny Dark really will be getting nervous about 2007 now.

10:13 PM  
Blogger the_en4cer said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your iPod. At least you've got an excuse to get a new and improved one with flashy things. Thats my plan (c:

10:56 PM  
Blogger miners said...

looks like it's safe to say that you're well and truly back Tess :)

So, do we have any serious goal races on the horizon?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Long time since visiting blogs, Tess. So good to find you back to your usual fabulous form....amazing!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Great to see you back in top gear Tesso. Our knees seem to be behaving themselves at last!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Good to see you're back in full flight, like the Broncos. You deserve a beer with Gordon Tallis.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Cirque said...

Fantastic to hear all is well Tesso!

It's really exciting to hear that you were reminded to fuel up by reading it on Ellie's blog. It almost makes me feel like even someone like me could give you advice one day.

Like...ummm...where to park or something.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Seems like you are running well and fuelling up before heading out is a good idea. Works for me, I think.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home