Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Cast Of Thousands

Talk about panic stations getting to Pat's this morning. I got held up for close to five minutes at roadworks in Adelaide St. Gees, rather than 5.30am why don't they do these at peak hour when I'm not on the road! Then at South Bank I had to park miles (oh well, a hundred meters or so) away from the usual spot as most of our parking was blocked off. More road works ... I thought the election was over :-)

Luckily squillions of people were there today and getting them all signed on etc took longer than usual. I'm wondering if it was record numbers (time trial days aside). I made it just before the first group took off for the warmup. Whew! For a while there I thought I was going to be heading out with the second group for another Langy type hotup!

Working my way through the crowd I finally caught up with Clairie. She was being a 'buddy' this morning, looking after a newbie called Daughter to the group. With people joining all the time its hard to remember everybody's names, but I reckon we won't forget hers.

The pgm was the same as Friday, 30 second efforts. Pat apologised to those who had to double up but I didn't mind at all. Its such a great session, and we do it around a square rather than back and forth so there's no problems at all with dodging people. And really you can't get a much better location for speed work in Brissie than The Botanic Gardens. With just a little DOMS from Sunday's 25k I was able to work hard, though didn't quite go 100% just in case.

Afterwards a couple of reps from the Qld Cancer Fund turned up to thank us for our fundraising efforts (well over $5000) leading up to the GC Marathon and they brought along these two huuuuge trays of fruit and pastries etc. But I could only look. I was on a water only diet until after a blood test I was having later on for the Health Futures pgm I'm going through at work. Bugger!

5 Comments:

Blogger Clairie said...

Heh Tesso you were hooting! Scary to think you were not even doing 100%.

Hope the blood test was all good. Did you tell them to bottle it when they are finished - it's worth millions!!

See you in the morning for the mid week assualt.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Congrats on the 25km PB.

I have trouble remembering names too Tabatha.

If the Broncos can't win this week, they should all join the gold coast dolphins.

8:36 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Pat's group seems to go from strength to strength, Tesso. He has really developed quite a movement up there and it says alot for the inpiration he must bring to people. Maybe he needs to consider opening a Sydney, Canberra or Melbourne sub-group. I'm sure he would have enough followers down south.

9:17 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Good luck with Health Futures. I don't think it would work at my office. Too many people would spill their beers through having seizures when told of the plan.
Good to hear the dual birthday celebrations are in train. Hopefully you'll be able to fit in some runs while you're down here. Well, maybe before the celebrations anyway...

11:42 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I've signed up for the Health Futures program at work too -this will be my 3rd time so will be interesting tracking my results over the years.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home