Monday, September 18, 2006

Wheel & Walk 8k

I like the idea of supporting the smaller fun runs, and really don't make enough of an effort to. There were a couple on in Brssie this weekend just gone, so I targeted the Sunday one - The Wheel & Walk 8k Fun Run. It was raising funds and awareness for spina bifida.

CR Plu was in town so I picked him up on my way there. I'd thought about running with him, he was going to take photos along the way enjoy the ride. There weren't many people there at all, though the first person we ran into was Schultzy. The only girl I recognised was Parmy.

I decided then with a chance of a podium finish I should give this one a go. Not that Parmy isn't a threat, she and I are always neck and neck at BRRC events and in fact over shorter distances she has the edge. It wasn't going to be a walk in the park by any stretch. With a 'fast' run my goal was sub 36 mins.

Parmy was right behind me or beside me all the way to the 4k turnaround. After that I wasn't sure, I didn't want to look behind. With about 1km to go I sensed she may have dropped back a bit but didn't want to risk it so kept the pace going.

I managed to get to the finish as first lady in a time of 35:30 - yay! The woman who took my details told me what the prize was. I wasn't really expecting much, if anything at all. But for my effort I scored two nights at Tree Tops Resort and a three month membership to the gym that is right across the road from where I live - woohoo!

This race is a little unique, its the first one I've ever done where bikies were marshalling. And to indicate which event you'd entered (there was a 2k, 4k and 8k) at the turnaround somebody marked your arm with a felt pen :-) There were probably as many, if not more, walkers than runners. And a number of wheelies too, kids and adults. It was well organised with lots of great random prizes (eg restaurant vouchers, zoo passes) and even a terrific local band (blues, funk, soul) called Chocolate Strings to entertain us. And Alf from Home and Away was there - I think he walked the 2k.

Its just a shame there weren't more from the running community out there running it .... guys that is ;-)

14 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo. Sensational result Tesso - and what a great prize !

Well done.

10:24 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

after that effort i think youre waaaaaaaaaay more famous than alf.
i hope he asked you for your autograph!
well done tesso.
see u at bribie???

10:25 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

yay!!!! i was waiting for this post!! that is so cool tesso - you are an absolute legend! see you in sydney v soon!

E

5:47 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Not a bad prize either, well done Tesso, excellent stuff!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations Champ. More Bling even if you didn't get any. And prizes are always good.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Fabulous effort Tesso after our big day out on Saturday - you really are the champion at backing up for races aren't you??? I don't know how you do it. Sunday morning I was in bed enjoying a sleeping for a change.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Wow Tesso thats a great achievement. Very well done matey. :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger miners said...

gee, more bling of a sort. you brissy girls are doing it tough this year aren't you?

9:55 AM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations on smashing your target time and picking up a great prize, not to mention the bragging rights for coming first.

10:36 AM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

That's fabulous. Now you just have to find some race free time to use the prize! See you at the birthday bash.

TA

11:46 AM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Congrats on the first placing!

Hope Dazza is available for Tree Tops...

1:20 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Congratulations on the 1st placing Tesso.
I'm sad that I'm in Sydney a week too early for your Birthday bash and the GF. I'm going to the Dragons/Storm game this saturday while I'm here though!

1:51 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Wooohooo Tesso you bling queen you! Great prize too!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

A big congrats Tesso, a nice win and a very cool prize!

Stu

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home