Monday, October 16, 2006

Off The Grog

CJ asked when Canberra was on the agenda. Mid December I'll be there for a weekend for a 50th birthday party ... not mine!!! I'm hoping to do a long run on the Saturday morning (16th) to clear the head from Friday's pre-party party and work up a thirst for the real party :-)

*****

Even though the stupid sore throat and cough were still hanging around I thought I'd go to Pat's on Thursday morning and just take it easy. The worse that could happen was I'd have to stop and not complete the session.

We had a long warmup around Riverside and back to the Goodwill Bridge then it was a mix of four and two minute efforts. Of course as soon as we took off I couldn't help myself and just ran as hard as I could. Considering my breathing wasn't the best I was pretty happy with how I went, almost keeping in touch with Jules. I'm so pleased she's joined the group, its great to have another female of similar ability to keep me on my toes.

*****

There was still no improvement in the cough thing Saturday morning and so I contemplated not running at all. I even went back to bed for a minute or two after getting up. Here was the perfect excuse for a sleep in but I couldn't stand the thought of not going! So I headed over to meet the gang at The Regatta with the plan of doing a very short run, and maybe even a walk.

I fell in beside Hannah right at the start. She wasn't sure how far she'd go, maybe 10k at most. It was great, just running and chatting and catching up on what's been happening in Hannah-Land lately. And we started planning our Caboolture Dusk To Dawn training - this time we are going to do it properly! Before we knew it we were at the 5k mark and just kept going. Same thing at the 6k. And the 7k. We eventually turned around at 7.5k to make up 15k for the morning. Not bad considering neither of us planned to go anywhere near that far. That's what happens when you have great company I guess :-)

*****

I thought it best to take a couple of days off running to try to knock this bug on the head and Sunday hit the gym for some weights and ab work.

But after a restless night (coughing) at 5 this morning I was wide awake. I was feeling pretty shabby but with a 7am start at work I knew there wasn't much point in trying to get back to sleep so went and did an easy no-watch 8k. I felt way better afterwards.

*****

Thanks to Matty a few of us had a great night out in front row seats at the basketball last night - Let's Go Bron ... whoops, Bullets :-) In the bar pre game a certain running buddy informed me, over a glass of wine, that she is swearing off alcohol for two weeks. I said I'd go out in sympathy. For one week. Sorry Clairie, but I can't not drink while on hols at Noosa next week.

Anyone want to volunteer to do the second week for me?

12 Comments:

Blogger miners said...

Hey stranger - nice to have you back :)

Looks like you had yourself a pretty fancy time away - bug notwithstanding. Hey, and anytime you want me to take one of your non-alcohol weeks for you, you only have to ask. Fits in perfectly with my training :)

10:46 AM  
Blogger 2P said...

Glad to hear you are going to take the Dusk to Dawn seriously this time - I mean you only did 105k (?) or so in the last one - geez Tesso!!!

;-)

2:07 PM  
Blogger RunDave said...

I had a bit of a bender (for me) on the weekend. I might join you guys for a while.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

I could probably do that for you Tesso, I have a wedding this weekend so I will do my binging this week and you can enjoy Noosa :)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Sorry - no ;-)

I'm moving next weekend. I suspect I might need a drink!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Not me. I've been driven to drink by the Broncos.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

Tesso, I have already had two weeks off the grog. You can claim them both.

9:29 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

That weekend is marked in my diary though I don't know whether I'll be able to join you on the long run on Saturday as I have Tour de Mountain on Sunday! But pre-race carbo loading and coffee sounds perfect!
Take care with that cough. Have a great week!

9:07 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Forgot to say that Canberra Marathon is still on the agenda and fingers crossed I'll pull up ok after SFT so I can run it - albeit very slowly!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

over a glass of wine


ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha


that is just soooooooo funny

6:41 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

So, it was a couple of bottles of wine Clairie?

No, sorry (he says, taking one step backwards).

Sadly I think I'll miss the Saturday morning run as I'm in Sydney that weekend :(

8:03 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

The wine doesn't count if you are sick .... then we call it medicine!

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home