Thursday, November 09, 2006

Not So Steady

Wednesday morn I decided not to do the mid-week long run as normal but instead wait until lunchtime to put in some secret Kurrawa training. But the weather looked a bit hairy and so I delayed it until it cleared. Ran an easy 8k late in the afternoon.

Felt a little wobbly for a fair bit of it, almost like the sensation of running on the floating walkway at New Farm when the Citycat goes by. Wierd. Probably just tight muscles from the time trial. Or maybe it was from a bad oyster at the Melbourne Cup lunch ;-)


*****


Being the Thursday after our monthly TT Pat's today was a steady 50 min run, plus the 1k no watch. To make up for my missed longish run yesterday I decided to run the 5k from home to the session.

After a couple of kms a little pack had formed - Clairie, Scotty, new girl Deborah and myself. We weren't too far behind the fast guys at all. Pat rolled along and joined us and kept us 'entertained' with his jokes. We turned around just after 26 mins. On the trip back Robbie caught up and so Deborah and I picked up the pace a little to run with him. I checked the time when we got to The Gardens. That 'steady' run averaged around 4:35 pace!

For the 'no watch' 1k I'd nominated 4:20. I knew Clairie & Toasty had put 4 mins so tried to stay just a little ways behind. I couldn't believe when I hit the finish and Pat called out 4:04. It felt slower than that.

Ran back over the bridge with Jonesy. We got to the Ship Inn and continued running down to the pool and back. Unlike most others, including my fellow bloggers, who skipped the warmdown and went straight for the pancakes. Tut tut tut ;-)

I still had to run home so passed on the pancakes opting for a big plate of fruit salad instead. D'oh! As if it wasn't going to bounce around in my belly on the way home.

All up 22k for the day :-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

I'm not sure I could run with either fruit salad or pancakes bouncing around. That's a nice even number for the day too!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

woooh, that is a big day. It is always nice to learn you've been running much faster than you thought, EXCEPT at the 10k mark of a marathon.

Those bloody bad oysters! I hear they live at the bottom of champagne glasses.

So what did you think of our Japanese horses coming down and taking away the Melbourne Cup? Quite a turn up.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

yeah - i was going to suggest that it could have been the oyster-laden red wine...

3:24 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

22k is a big weekday run Tesso - nice pace too.

3:34 PM  
Blogger miners said...

love those double up days ;) (the pancakes, not the running)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

You mean the warm down run only went to the pool? What about the South Bank Cultural Forecourt ;-)

PM

4:12 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

What a big day Tesso. 22k's on a Thursday. I'm impressed.

7:03 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

You said it, Eddie.
22k mid week is huge!
I thought about doing a long long run like that mid week to take pressure off the weekend runs, but I'd have to get up a half an hour before going to bed (apologies M Python).

Hope you didn't cop any of the wild weather up around there recently...

7:22 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You are getting dangerously fit Tesso, if you don't realise how fast you're running :)

8:21 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I didn't "skip" the warmdown ... I just didn't do it ... there was no skipping.

6:14 AM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I have a theory about these 'no watch' 1k's. Nominate a time, and then ask the person recording it to subtract 20 seconds. I'm sure that you always run faster than you think over that distance if you are more used to controlling your pace for endurance events.

Gnome

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home