Tuesday, November 07, 2006

3k Time Trial

I set three non-time based goals for the year:

1. Run at least 100k in a race .... Done - Caboolture Dusk to Dawn (105.5km)

2. Finish in the top five in the BRRC Championships .... Done - 3rd.

3. Earn my first ever PCRG achievement medal (I'm one of a handful in the group who don't have one, many have more than one).

Medals are awarded when a group member:

Lowers their time in three consecutive attempts (gaps/absences allowed). The performances do not have to be a personal best each time. If a runner has a personal best over the course of 12.59 which was run 12 months ago, as long as this runner runs 13.15/ 13.13/ 13.03/ 13.01 the result will be three improved performances.

Runs a personal best when their previous personal best was set at least four months previously.


This morning I knew there was no chance of beating my PB (11:53 in Feb 2005). My previous three times (all post ITB injury) have been 13:06, 12:49 and 12:20. After a big weekend of running I really didn't think I had a chance of improving my time, so much so that I was almost a late scratching this morning. I thought maybe I should wait and give it a shot in December. But that would have be like fixing a race so I figured I'd just give it my best and if I failed, well, I'd have a goal to work on for 2007.

To cut a long story short I ran as best I could. With just over a km to go I noticed Clairie had slowed and wondered why. She wasn't having the best day and so thought she'd hang back and help me out. What a gem! She encouraged me the rest of the way home and I couldn't possibly give up now as I'd be letting both of us down. Even with about 200m to go I knew I had it nailed but with Clairie there with me there was not letting up.

The result - 12:14!!!! I'm rapt - it was one second faster than my January time and my best 3k of the year.

And finally I get a PCRG medal :-)

22 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Onya Tess. :)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Those were great goals to set and it'ss fantastic to see you achieved them all this year! Sounds like you worked really hard to get your medal so enjoy the feeling of achievement.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

Noice :)

11:56 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Excellent Tesso. Straight to the pool room for that one. Next stop sub 12?

1:13 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling bling ...
;-)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Well done Tesso, isn't Clairie a doll? I wish I could do a TT with you two and the Pat Carrollers. I reckon I might even be able to break my 3KTT curse. Terrific news!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You're a winner on Melbourne Cup day! Great time Tesso, and isn't your buddy something?

Congrats also on the non-walk Mt Coot-tha and the stunning relay victory.

3:21 PM  
Blogger R2B said...

Well Done!!
You deserve a medal!Hehehe
Keep up the good work as sub 11:53 could be just around the corner!

R2B

7:06 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Well done.
You're a PCRG Rock-Star.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on yet more bling. Glad that you could add a new piece to your collection. Now you just have to get some of what JD's on so you can run 43:30 for 10km. ;-)

8:50 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

You are just a shameless bling collector miss Tesso!

Good onyer mate ;-)

8:53 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

...and on a real 3k course too! (unlike my 3k pbs). That's sooo cool. No wonder JD's running faster now. You've got him running scared :-) :-)

Gnome

9:30 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Well done on the great year. 3k to 100K what a range!!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tesso you are a legend!

You would have had a great run without me being there...I could just see it in you.

I could hear your little feet and breathing - not that you were really loud LOL but because I could tell it was you. I had no idea of time as I didn't have a watch on but I knew you were having a good run.

Can't wait until Jan when we should both be doing high mileage and in good form for a PB. Might be a tad warm though... :(

9:29 AM  
Blogger miners said...

congrats! Amazing to think there is still some bling out there that you HADN'T already picked up!

10:35 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Congratulations!!!!! *much enthusiastic clapping of hands* Woohoo - don't you just love it when it all turns out much better than expected!
Both you and Clairie are so inspiring - you really gte me motivated so thanks guys ;-)
The health appraisal was done through Health Futures. As for the low iron levels - I'm on iron tablets (have been on and off them for the past year now)and actually made a radical change to my diet - from vegetarian to including meat. Back to the drawing board I guess.......

2:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Woohoo! More bling for Tesso!

5:46 PM  
Blogger blues buffett said...

Well done youngster - another medal... what's left to win?
I know - World Masters Sydney 2009. Now that's a real excuse for a CR party!!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

You can't have goals after you achieved them .... what are the goals for 2007?

Congratulations on the consecutive improvements.

7:40 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Congratulations on hitting your goals Tesso and good ones they certainly were.
What a wonderful improvement in times since your injury :)

8:02 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, one second makes all the difference. Awesome! Great goals and fantastic to get them all :)

9:00 AM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

well done tess.
youre gutsier than me.
i wouldve waited till december ;)

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home