Saturday, November 11, 2006

Missed it by thaaaaaaat much

Last night I'd worked out the lap times I needed to run 12:15 in today's 3000m track race today. Basically every 400m lap had to be 1min 38secs. I'd also figured out what I needed for 12:00 but that was just wishful thinking.

After signing on and me trying to sneak into the 30-34 age category (ha ha, more wishful thinking) Clairie, Schultzy, another lady Elvira and I went off on a warmup. A few kms later we were lining up for the race.

We even had a bit of a cheer squad. Jonesy was on duty at the finish line and it was great to get encouragement from him every time we ran past. Also PCRG-er Jean was there waiting for her races and cheered continually.

My lap times went like this ...

0:46.8 (200m)
1:40.39
1:37.75
1:39.27
1:40.82
1:38.86
1:42.95 (tragic)
1:39.39

Total time - 12:26.23

My breathing was okay but the legs, I think, were tired. I couldn't have gone any faster but recovered really quickly, unlike Tuesday's TT where I was totally knackered afterwards. I'm reasonably happy considering there was no taper whatsoever.

Clairie did so well for her track debut. I'll let her tell her own story.

I suppose there's a few tricks to track running eg how to handle the bends. I'm sure I was sort of slowing down on them. Guess its something different and good experience. Still, give me a 3k on the bitumen any day.

14 Comments:

Blogger miners said...

not sure how on earth you could get used to running bends personally. Thought you had a good attempt at that up at caboolture's dusk til dawm?

nice effort though :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Congrats on the 3k PB Tesso! (the bitumen ones don't count).

You forgot to kick in the last 400... you should be able to do 90 or better for that.

You're right, in that tired legs don't help. That second last lap does have tiredness written all over it. Did you do drills and strides before starting? This helps, both physically and mentally before a track race.

8:19 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Nice work Tesso - that is a mighty fine 3k time.

I love bends (I think I am inherently crooked) :-)

8:23 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

One of the best things about track is that you know the 3k is exactly that. And flat as well.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Just 11 seconds off your goal will be easy to catch next time.

9:33 AM  
Blogger TD said...

Agree with the others, Tesso, nice work. I have done a fair bit of track running over the years and I think it takes a shift in technique and attitude to run well on the stuff. I am sure Pat could give lots of good advice on tracking running.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Yeah Tesso, great work. However, I ask the same question as Go Girl. Why the track running? Has Lucky Legs started something? I sometimes use the local track for speed work. Is there some magic that it works? If so, I'll try some too.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Missed you in the morning but glad you added more variety into the running. We added some variety with the change in venue for breakfast.

Explain to me, when you have time, why ours legs can be dead one day but not others. This is a mystery to me.

Good running, I owe you at least one hub from all your recent performances.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Fantastic run Tesso - because we turned up and instead of running from the start line we actually did it!!!

It was so hard and I was pretty crappy with my time but reading your post and looking back on it I am glad that we went and I want to go back. So that is something I guess.

Thanks for the support and encouragement and for making me turn up hee hee

4:22 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

3000m on the track will always be faster and once you have done one or 2 you will be setting a new PB!!

Well done

6:51 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

Nice effort Tes, you're almost there.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hi Tesso

I misunderstood your last post, I thought you were going to run on a bush track not a track track. I thought that time was a bit ambitious for cross country.

Anyway next time before you run rent a video of some past Olympic
track races it should get you there.

Thanks for the advice about only being worried pre race because I stood a chance of doing well. I thought it was good advice and it turned out that way.

Thanks again.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

push the bends hard and keep it steady on the straights. Well that's my 1 race exp. Pacing was good for the race. Get the 3k PB next race.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Becky O said...

Thanks for guiding me to your blog report on Caboolture 12 hour. I found it really useful and I've already started my planning for Coastal Classic..

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home