Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2006 In Review

2006 was a year of ups and downs. Well lots of ups and only one real down, that being the ITB injury which caused me much grief through most of March, all of April and May.

I started the year with a 3k Time Trial time of 12:15, it went up to 13:09 (post ITB), and by year's end I managed to get it down to 12:07. Gotta be happy about that! My half marathon times never came too close to my 94:03 PB, the best being the BRRC event in early March where I ran 96:30.

I recorded a DNF in Canberra but went into it knowing that I was going to pull out at some stage of the race. Even though it set my recovery back a little it was worth it to get to the point in the race where Pat's partner Susan had put up personal signs for all PCRG members who were racing.

The injury also saw me struggling badly at the Warwick Pentath-Run (42.2k over 5 races in one weekend), but I was going to do all five events there if it killed me. It didn't :-)

The biggest up has to be my result at the 12 hour event at the Caboolture Dusk to Dawn in February. I had a pie in the sky goal of 100k and so was totally shocked when I hit that mark after just 10 hours and 58 minutes. I went on to notch up 105.5kms by 6am, obviously there was more than a little walking in that last hour.

Many people contribute my ITB injury to this race. I think the real culprit was way too many laps of Mt Coot-tha in the weeks that followed. I'm always warning people about feeling too good after a big race like a marathon, pity I didn't warn myself ;-)

I'm working on setting goals for 2007, but after reflecting back on 2006 I realised just how much I enjoyed Caboolture and what an incredible experience it was. Now I'm thinking I might have to sneak in a 'decent' ultra in sometime this year. Watch this space :-)

So, how do I rate the running year? I think I'll give it 3 1/2 stars.

17 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

I hope you can give your running year in 2007 5 stars!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

damn - lulu beat me with the '2007 is a 5 star kind of year' comment! But the intent is the same!

It was great to meet you Tesso a couple of times this year and I hope there are many more of those occasions to come :)

6:48 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

All your performances are 5 Star as far as I'm concerned Tesso.

I'm looking forward to seeing you in that next ultra :-)

Nice spped session too!

7:07 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

OK, let me be the first to remind you. Do the long stuff, but then take it easy for a bit!. Actually, I think that some one up your way will have to translate that last bit for you - I'm not sure that you know what "take it easy" means!! :-) :-)

It's been fun this year following your ups and downs (and matching them with a few of my own!), but isn't it good to look back and realise that the ups easily outweigh the not-so-ups :-)

So here's to a more up than down 2007 (except for race times, of course; I think we'd prefer them to be going down!)

Gnome

7:13 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

May 2007 be the year that those 3 little letters never pass our lips again!

You've had a great year - that's a huge chunk to take of your 3k TT!

May 2007 bring you even greater success - particularly now that the dark side is calling :-)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

4 from me. I'm predicting Glasshouse or PMC ;)

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a good year inspite of the injury of the ITB. PMC is a goer. You get to finish at the Opera House. See you at Canberra this year with both of us starting and finishing.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm always warning people about feeling too good after a big race like a marathon, pity I didn't warn myself ;-) "

I say Amen to that, Sister! I'm a slow learner, but gradually getting there.

I think you had a pretty good year. Look after the pins and I'm sure you'll add another star to the tally in '07.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to a year without injury. I think 2006 was still a damn good one for you.

Tough session at Pats aswell and I was going to take my brother, that would have been pretty embarrassing :-)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Spud said...

I remember when you pulled off that fantastic result at Coobulture, I thought the darkside was right for you. Now I know it is ;) Have a great year Tesso, see you at GH?

7:28 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

Tess what are you doing????? Are you contemplating the 12hr again??

Well if you do I have a great blow up mattress so put my name down for Number #1 supporter.

Will be good to run 3hrs with you, though not really keen on starting at 9pm!!

2006 was a great year of running - always to be remembered for my first marathon. But I will also remember the agony of not being able to run with my mate because she was injured. Sooooo this year I will be nagging her to take it easy after her hard races.

The rules are:
No Tuesday speed session after a race on the weekend of Half marathon or longer.
One week of easy stuff after every marathon.
Two weeks of easy stuff after every ultra.
Mount cootha or equivalent maximum once a fortnight.
Monthly massage - go on you deserve it!!

Take care buddy, we need you out there on the road to chase down. :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Good luck for 2007 Tesso. I hope we can catch up at a post-race drinks session somewhere again!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

We never learn!!! I look forward to a stellar team J performance in 2007!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great year Tesso. The lows make the highs all the more sweet:)

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a year! Some real high and some lows. You sure have fought back.

Thanks for all your support and friendship in 2006 and I hope 2007 is your best year yet.

P.S Clairie's rules sound very wise :)

8:45 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Sounds like a solid year to me in spite of the setback.
Hope you have a really great year ahead of you Tesso :)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Hi Tesso, I've browsed your blog several times this year and just read your 2006 summary. Really like the way you excentuate the positives - it can be too easy to dwell on the downs (not that you had many!) I hope 2007 is a fantastic year for you, keep up the hard work!

Cheers, MAR.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home