Monday, January 01, 2007

Finishing The Year On A High

Saturday we were doing the Go-Betweens Bridge 18k loop again, heading out via Coro Dve first this time though. As well as most of the usual crew we had a few newbies (to the group) plus out-of-towners Tuggeranong Don and Kelvin.

I was traveling along just over 5 minute pace, and feeling very good. I held back deliberately though, taking the opportunity to run with some of those who were first timers to our group. And I was still a little cautious after Wednesday's speed bump (23k up Mt Nebo), which by the way, looks like this ....


I stole the elevation chart for Wednesday's run from Mat - thanks mate :-)

Most of us jumped in the pool at South Bank afterwards before heading off to Poppy's for brekky and a chat. It turns out that Haydon, one of our newcomers, takes RPM classes at my gym. So that's it, one New Year's Resolution sorted.


*****


Sunday was our traditional New Year's Eve Mt Coot-tha run and barby brekky. Just five brave souls made it for the 5.30am start. Six if you count Geoff on his bike.

Robbie took off at his usual cracking pace with Clairie, Lizzle, Glenno and I in not so hot pursuit. After a few minutes I thought I'd rev it up just a little and something weird happened, I just kept going.

I hit the first re-group point about a minute behind Robbie (my time 20:49). After that is the undulations and so I tried to stick with him and managed to be just a few seconds when we stopped at The Summit (31:07).

I saw the opportunity to finish the 9.6km loop under 50 minutes. My best training run time from back in 2001 is just over 47 minutes. The one and only time I've raced it was King Of The Mountain in 2002 where I did 45:29. As the name suggests its downhill all the way from The Summit so I hit the straps. Got to the carpark and stopped the clock - 46:36. Woohoo!!!!

What a way to end the year, notching up a training PB and hanging out with the gang for a relaxing brekky. Well, it was relaxing for the runners as Clairie's hubby did all the cooking :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

happy new year tesso! I hope that 2007 continues your great run of ... well running :)

take care and hope the year brings lots of fun and injury free runs!

E

4:50 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Training PBs are sweet Tess. That's a brilliant way to finish the year. Must have been because Don wasn't holding you back like the day before ;)

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! That's a good time for the loop. That's an avg pace of around 4:50! (Not so) Secret hill training? <|;-).

7:56 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Reading about all this hill running is making me tired!
Happy New Year Tesso :)

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home