Monday, January 08, 2007

CJ and The Spit

I arrived a little early Saturday morning so did 2 kms before the rest of the group arrived. Most did a river loop, some the 18k option via the Go-Betweens Bridge while seven us ran a bit further on to the Indooroopilly Bridge to make it closer to 24k. We were travelling just seconds over 5 minute pace. I felt it a bit of a struggle, actually more than a bit, mostly because the pain from my little tumble down the stairs the other day hasn't eased.


*****


CJ was visiting the Gold Coast from Canberra so a few of us headed down on Sunday morning to meet up with her. It was perfect as Clairie and Lizzle were going to be there doing their beach running session with Chris's group, we could hook up with them afterwards.

We ran a lovely 10k round trip from Main Beach up to The Spit and back, all along trails. The view when we got to the end was fantastic, the sky was clear and the surf was raging. We ran at a very cruisey pace, CJ and I chatting the whole way about the important things in life like chocolate, running, chocolate, travel, chocolate, family, chocolate, shopping, and chocolate.

Everybody got together at the surf club afterwards for a long brekky. There was quite a crew as the Clairie Clan were in attendance, as were Toasty, 'Katy And Her Krutches' and The Croutons. Got a lots of happy snaps, might post a couple later.


*****


The weekend runs both hurt just a bit too much, I knew I had to do something about it. So much for my 'no physio visits' in 2007.

I have sacroiliac joint (SIJ) dysfunction from the fall down the stairs. The pounding action of running wasn't helping that one at all.

For some months I've had on ongoing pain in my right hammy/glute which I thought might be sciatica. It hurt more sitting than running so I wasn't too concerned :-) Seems its a lumbar disk injury (kind of an overuse injury) that caused some muscle spasming. Its something that can be fixed with exercises, stretches, heat packs etc.

I see the physio again Thursday and its not running before then. So much for my sub 12 assualt at the time trial tomorrow.

Not happy Jan.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could tell on Saturday that you weren't feeling that great. A wise decision to get yourself checked out and have a few days off. Hopefully it can be fixed without too much disruption.

Thanks for the run on Saturday, I felt a little sick in the stomach probably from the gu but nothing major. Hopefully you will be back on Saturday for another session.

Take care

3:55 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I hope these injuries aren't too serious. Glad you're getting them sorted. You'll feel better in no time.

4:21 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Geez. I thought from the title that we were in for a tale of CJ's expectorating prowess! :-)

I'm glad you relented and got your problems seen to. At least they sound like something that can be fixed, which is a whole lot more enticing than running in pain for forever.

Gnome

p.s. I see from Ewan's blog that you're doing 6ft. Fantastic news. :-) :-)

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang. Oh well, is a fresh new year and plenty of time for big plans, big goals, and sub 12 3kmTT's.

Knowing you though, it won't slow you down much (if at all) <|:-)))).

6:42 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Yes Tesso

Not good news. Words like "sciatica" and "lumbar" should be only mentioned in nursing homes.

It pays to be sanguine about these things though. A bad January used to fix nagging injuries may turn out to be a blessing for your form
for the rest of the year.

Keep us updated.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh Tesso. I'm sorry to hear that but pleased that it is something that can be fixed. Take care of yourself :-)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

I hope you can get it sorted early Tesso. Injuries can be a pain in the glute.

Next time I want CJ to slow down I'll just mention the 'C' word.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've kept some of this well hidden, Tesso. You looked in great touch when I saw you in Canberra and then in Brisbane.

For the record, I have had sciatica and lumbar problems for years and they sometimes mess up my running. But I have found that the problems generally respond well to physio...and I haven't ended up in an nursing home yet!

8:07 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Well don't sit down then :-)

Look forward to seeing you back to 100% - that sub 12 will come...

8:40 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

The sub 12 can wait, get yourself sorted and in the meantime eat lots of chocolate ;)
All the best!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Wow, sounds a bit like my SIJ prob last year. You have my sympathy mate. Do you have to do more core work to strengthen things up around it? Take care of yourself mate.

That Gold Coast run sounds great.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

I think I am the only one happy to hear you are injured. Nah just kidding. Devastated.

Just wasn't normal to see you standing there in the TT this morning, desite you doing a great job telling me how many corners I was cutting hee hee.

I've been telling you for ages that you are, I mean HAVE a pain in the butt. Glad to hear it has finally been diagnosed. That's the most worrying bit I think.

Now we can work on getting you back out on the road. At least you know that you are doing all the right things re: stretching, new shoes regularly, hills not too often, lots of chocolate and building up the mileage steadily.

Just before you fell down the stairs you did a few big weeks with a lot of hills thrown in - Canberra, Mt Cootha etc so it is no suprise to me that you have squashed all your lumbar thingys. I think they would have come good with a few days off but as you never have time off (nag nag nag nag).

I will be absolutely delighted to hear the physio tell you good news this Friday. I hope he/she is a running physio and has it in their best interests to get you out on the road ASAP. I will go on strike if you arent there on Saturday. How on earth can I do a long run without Tesso.

Anyhow Saturday is a really slow long run so I think you can do it. Even if you have to not run the rest of the week, one long slow run can't hurt that much. (thats my evil twin talking who is very selfish and wants Tess to run even if she has to dose up on Morphine....)

Anyhow, thanks for coming out and giving your support this morning.
Was um interesting to see the diaper thingy!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a half full point of view - the rest do you good Tesso.

You'll be back quick smart for sure !

10:47 AM  
Blogger Matty said...

What this 'No physios in 2007' business???

Maaaaaaaaate, for mine, you should be embracing physios like you would a lover - not hoping to avoid them!!

I go to the QSMC at the Gabba every 6-8 weeks and pay them good money to find potential problems before they become real problems!!

Its such a shame as I had earmarked you for a sensational TT after your finishing effort in the the last 30 seconds of the fartlek at West End a few weeks back :)

M

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home