Saturday, February 03, 2007

Mother And Child Reunion

Clairie and I plus a few others set off just after 5am at The Ship Inn and ran an out and back before hooking up with the 'late starters' at 5.30am. The whole group headed out New Farm way with our little pack of four (Clairie, Mat, Celeste and I) forging on while the rest of them returned to base. At Brett's Wharf we found Toasty who had broken away from the group early on and run out there at lightning speed.

I tried to get through the run gu free but at about 28k was starting to suffer so threw one down. Within minutes I felt 100%.

As our cars were parked at opposite ends of South Bank at the Goodwill Bridge Clairie and I parted ways and arranged to hook up at the pool. I just ran around Kangaroo Pt a bit until the Garmin clocked up 36k (time 3h16m), but at one stage I'm sure it jumped 500m or more in a matter of seconds. The brain wasn't working too well by that stage so I ignored it. Very annoying - I'd put in a strong last two km (the fastest of the day) and I could've kept going. So I'll just count this as 35.2kms, average pace 5:33.

This was my longest run in 11 months and I felt fantastic afterwards. Not taking any chances on the legs recovering for tomorrow's BRRC run I quaffed some poached eggs (protein) at our post run brekky, and am having roast chicken (more protein) for lunch. And I'm wearing the Skins all afternoon. Not the chicken skins :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert Song said...

Gee I wouldn't like to be backing up for the BRRC event after that run today.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

So... it was looking at you eat that made Clairie sick!

I presume you are the mother, and the child is the successful long run?

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home