Sunday, February 04, 2007

BRRC - Bring A Friend Day

Re the "Mother And Child Reunion" title of my last entry Ewen asked if I was the mother and the child was the successful long run. I never thought of that. Actually it referred to my brekky and lunch - eggs and chicken :-)


****


Today at BRRC was "Bring A Friend Day" a concept devised by Clairie to boost club membership. I was lucky enough to have two friends - Toasty and Ally. On offer were 15k, 10k and 5k races.

This was never going to be a race, rather a recovery run after yesterday's 35k. I was planning to go around 5:30 pace, but did the first 5k loop with Toasty and we were just averaging just over 5 min kms. He took off after that while I just maintained roughly the same speed to get to 10k in 50:29. I was feeling pretty good and was tempted to run a third loop but thought better of it. I am supposed to be in taper mode for the Caboolture 6 hours next weekend, so what a good excuse to stop.

Big congrats to Ally who ran a PB and was second lady in the 10k. And thanks for Toasty for keeping me company and getting me to push myself just a little.

Clairie did a great job as race director, injecting a bit a humour into proceedings. To make things more difficult for her there was a shortage of volunteers. And the megaphone was broken .... not that anybody noticed :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Gosh Tess, you've bounced back soooo well after your time off. Amazing!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

You looked very comfortable this morning Tess. It is amzing how you can do that after such a huge session yesterday.

I feel better now that you brought two friends, Cass was going to be mine but she reckons that she would have held everyone up if she walked the 5k event.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have a good run next weekend, Tess. Not doing that 3rd loop was a good decision!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I enjoyed the first 5K better than the next (because of the company). I thought you wanted me to run ahead because I smelt and you were just being polite by saying you thought I should go faster.

Thanks so much for the friendship and the run today.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

You could have lent a friend to poor lonely Robert Song ;)

I think somebody took the batteries out to give her normally meek and timid voice a workout.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

Great work Tess with the weekend's runs. 10% rule?. jst guidelines hey. hmmm. This weekend looking good for you, albeit >10% once again :-)
oh, and i was just reviewing some silly post about ticker.....any 35-36k training run needs plenty of that huh?!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

re the comment on my blog. Glad the rubber band worked for you! I too was doing water bubbler intervals yesterday...just gotta make it to the next water bubbler!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Sounds like a fun, social event.

9:40 AM  
Blogger miners said...

yes, but which is the mother and which is the child? ;)

clairie - megaphone LOL!

wonder how it got broken? ;)

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home