Friday, March 02, 2007

No Need For Speed

Went to Pat's again this morn. The session was the same as yesterday - 2 x 1500m plus 2 x 500m. For me today my plan was to just try to run a particular pace, not bust a gut but quicker than 'steady'.

I settled nicely into 4:30 pace. Rather than stop for the 45 second recovery after the first rep I headed straight back. With about 400m to go I siddled up beside James and suggested we chase down Gary. So we both stepped it up a gear. James managed to get him before the line, I couldn't though! My time for the 3k was 13:20. After a 40 second standing recovery its was the 2 x 500s, again with no rest in between for me. Time 4:25.

Although for me it wasn't a true 'speed' session it was well worth going along. If I'd run on my own I would've just plodded. So I'll definitely be making the effort to get there on Fridays more often to do something similar. Besides the training benefit its nice to catch up with the Friday crowd, for some of them its the only day they go.

11 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

A wise choice to go steady however it still ended up being a solid session Tesso, anything under 4.30 is good going. Should be nice and fresh for your long run tomorrow.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That makes the maths easy - 2 x 500 with no recovery. Think I might try 90 x 500 next Saturday ;)

Have fun tomorrow. Hope your car has recovered.

8:57 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Been a busy week running-wise for you. It must be hard running coming off night shift - don't know how you do it.

Sad news about Billy Thorpe....

10:44 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

Hope you didn't tell Pat about that no recovery bit, he might make that a session for all of us!
Still a quality session Tess!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

You mentioned a steady pace and yet finished off pretty quick.

You're right, it's amazing how we can be a little quicker in a group. I suppose deep down we're all competitive.

5:02 PM  
Blogger TD said...

So true that we are a bit more competitive in a group but it's also true that us runners generally know how to be like that and nice too.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You are like the Eveready bunny - there is just no stopping you!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Chasing down folks is always fun. Nice run.

3:45 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Yeah, why do 1500's and 500's when you can do a 3000's and 1000's?! Nice.

4:01 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

for some reason whenever i hear that name gary i think of that smoking add.
no gary no no gary no noooooooooo gary!
obviously someone different!
u make speedwork sound almost fun.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

Hehehe. I think James might be hiding something under the hood there.

Good work on sticking with the steady pace. Its always still hard work, but it can be hard to keep it steady and not get swept along.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home