Monday, March 05, 2007

Train Wreck

It was a 5am start at The Ship Inn on Saturday. I was hoping to do 38k but would be happy with anything over 35k. It was going to be slow too, and hopefully on no fuel. Thankfully a few of us, including Mat and Clairie, had the same idea re the pace - we were just under 6min per km. And I carried a gel and $20 on me just in case the old 'no fuel' thing didn't work and I needed to stop for a Powerade or Coke or a hamburger with the works along the way.

On the gravely track around the UQ (8k or so in to the run) I stopped and got rid of a tiny stone from under the tongue of my shoe that was annoying my foot. Minutes later I had to stop again as that part of my foot was a bit niggly. I thought maybe there were more stones in there but there weren't. I thought maybe my shoelaces had been too tight, as that's sort of what it felt like, so retied them.

A few kms on we hit some hills, and the pain wouldn't go away. It was worse on the downs. I hoped I could run through it but at our water stop just over the Indooroopilly Bridge I realised that even running on the flat wasn't good. It was 17k in, not even close to what I wanted, but I thought it best to bail rather than risk further damage.

We weren't far from Indooroopilly station. To get back to South Bank I had jump a train there and then switch at Roma St - luckily I had that money on me. I got more than a few stares from my fellow commuters. It was such a humid morning, I was totally drenched in sweat and so couldn't even sit down and hide.

I rang my pod as soon as I got home and made next available appointment, tomorrow at 1.30pm. I'm sure its nothing serious but with Canberra less than 6 weeks away I'm not taking any chances.

13 Comments:

Blogger Spud said...

Oh dear, fingers crossed Tesso.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

I have no idea, of course, but I hope that the first little stone just set of a chain reaction that saw the pain get worse. Nothing for it but to stop and rest a while. You did what any sane person would.

But as for the train you should have done something insane. If it was me in that train I would have stopped the people from staring by taking off my shoe and asking, in a loud/hysterical voice, "Does anyone know how to fix this?"

9:44 AM  
Blogger TD said...

Loved Scott's comment..

Good on you for being so sensible Tess and not pushing on. I'm sure the temptation would have been there with Canberra looming so large on the radar.

I'm more curious to know if you really would have bought that hamburger with the works. Would be good carbo loading I would have thought. Adding coke to the mix would have made a nice treat too.

Hope the problem with the foot proves to be not much at all.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

What is happening! First I read about Clairie, now you.

Let's hope it is only something minor and you can make the start in Canberra.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

Ouch! It sounds like something I have had in the past. I never got an official diagnosis, but I put it down to some kind of tendonitus in the tarsal area. It took me a while to shake, but since you get yourself proofessionally looked after, you have a better chance of dealing with it in the most appropriate manner. I hope it doesn't hamper you for too long.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

I hope everything is okay. You definitely take your "training" runs seriously.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

your foot and my butt...hmmm, they'll talk u know.
did you not stretch on the train? never let a chance go by :-)
hope it is just your foot still thinking about the stone - fingers crossed for you Tess!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Oh no! I really hope it's nothing serious Tess. Maybe the stone just pinched a nerve or something? With luck it will clear up overnight like the problem I had with my right foot. Good luck with the pod!

7:21 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Dear foot. Will you kindly get your act together and stop buggin our Tesso...

Gnome

p.s. or else...

p.p.s. Of course, the niggles are going to magically leave you overnight so that there's nothing there and the Pod thinks you're a whinger. Niggles are evil and despicable like that. :-(

11:02 PM  
Blogger Eagle said...

Read Clairie's Blogg with a reference to you and now I read you have a problem. I just can't believe you have a problem that may once again put Canberra at risk. Keep us up to date.

9:57 AM  
Blogger miners said...

oh no Tess - hope it's nothing. I don't suffer from many different injuries, but this is one I used to suffer from quite a bit till I went over to elastic laces for ALL shoes.

Can't remember how long it took me to get over the pain when it first occurred, but it wasn't much longer than a few days - a week tops :)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

You made the right decision Tess, a hard one, but the right one. Hope all is well with the foot.

At least you weren't running on a weekday and then catching a packed peak-hour train.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

It was all good there for a little while, till our little group just fell to pieces.

Something tells me that this will work out OK ;-).

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home