Saturday, March 24, 2007

Last Long Run At Last

Friday

I fronted up for for another PCRG session. It was the same as Thursday (ie 2 x 4 mins, 1 x 8 mins), though the effort I put in was less, maybe 70% - 80%.

I was running at about 4:25 pace and after the two lots of 4 mins was near a guy Tony. So for the return journey I stuck with and encouraged (ok, nagged) the poor bugger the entire way, getting him to target and pass others. I told him about the Eagle Quick Step - when you feel you are slowing do 6 steps fast on each side and you get your momentum back. He worked really hard, and that made me work harder than planned to stick with him. It was fun! We crossed the line in 7:58, a nice negative split and something that few and far between ever do in that session.


*****

Saturday

Not sure how but Toasty talked me into a 4.30am start for our last long run before Canberra. It sounded like a good idea on Friday afternoon, not so good when the alarm went before sparrow fart. I ran the first 5k with him, Mat and Glenno. Well, with Mat anyway, the other two were obviously on a mission. After that I headed back to the Ship Inn to hook up with the sleeper-inners who were starting at 5.30am.

I stuck with them until the end of the UQ ring road then did about 10 laps of a lovely grassy oval as they went on to do the hills that followed. Al the pod told me to avoid them for a little longer - the hills, not my running buddies ;-) Made my way back to the Ship Inn via Highgate Hill (so much for avoiding hills!) and West End.

I wanted to do a no fuel run (before and during) though carried gels and jelly beans just in case. I didn't use them and at no time was really zapped. I actually felt kinda strong towards the end and was able to chuck in a few sub 5 minute kms.

All up 38k in 3:22.xx (av pace 5:19). And if it came down to it I reckon I could've handled another 4k to make it up to a marathon.

Happy :-)

23 Comments:

Blogger Samurai Running said...

Wow Tesso! My last big long run is tomorrow and I'm looking at about 30kms at about 5:30 pace. I really don't think I could do 38kms at 5:19 pace and not suffer during the following week.

You're bloody good! You deserve more than a XXXX or two after that.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You are a machine Tess. You are going to have a brilliant Canberra marathon & woohoo, I'll be there to cheer you on!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

Great work on the long run! You'll be doing that 50k's in Canberra in you sleep. Don't worry, we'll wake you up at the finish line and get you to stop running.

8:08 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I can smell the taper, it's that close... :-)

Gnomey

9:25 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Mate that is brilliant work as always - all the best in the lead up to Canberra.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

Glenno and I had to get a little space ... wasn't just the sparrows!!!!

ta and the gnome... that aint no taper ... sorry

10:20 PM  
Blogger Bernie G said...

After such a good training run you should feel confident leading up to Canberra. Looking forward to catching up again.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

I've noticed a few times you've mentioned that you run some long runs as 'no fuel' runs.

I sort of understand the theory behind it but the times I've tried it I've ended up with stomach pains, vomitting sensation and performance is severly affected. That's not good or is that the intended result.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Excellent last long run. Now we can finally taper. Nothing stupid now for the last 3 weeks and you start fresh.

12:49 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

That's a very impressive run without anything to boost you along. I assume you have water though, and just mean no carb intake?!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Great run Tesso. It's good to have that one in the bank. Now you just have to collect the rewards.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That was a fine run Tesso. Though I don't think you've thought about your 50k goals enough.

Bugger the XXXX, shout yourself something half decent, like a Boags.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like you are in great form for Canberra with that one in the bank. Look after yourself now!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

After the foot scare a few weeks back, things are certainly back on track and you are training the house down. Can't see us keeping up with JD and Eddie though :-( on race day.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Eagle said...

The 'no fuel run' is a good training technique to get the body used to exactly that - on the day when you feul it up that shpuld start the after burners.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Great running Tesso.

The Broncos have a nice negative split going too.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Brendan said...

gutsy run sista

10:27 PM  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

ooh, that's a confidence builder! Well done. Now I'm getting excited.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

you sound so non chalant about 38 k's...and at a good clip, too!
i think that sparrow fart and sparrow chirp are two slightly different times - as a sometime 4.30am starter, me and the sparrow's, we start chirping in the first few k's.
all the injuries and niggles behind you now, time to get fresh! well done once again Tess.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, what a great long run. You are going to kick arse!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Spud said...

You are in great shape for Canberra Tess, enjoy the taper and freshen up. Won't be there this year but will be keeping an eye out for you ;)

3:40 PM  
Blogger miners said...

niiiiiiice - doesn't look like there's any reason for you not to be ready now? Unless the sleeper-innerers get in your ear ...

5:07 PM  
Blogger undercover brother said...

5.19s for 38km?
very slick!
all signs are good for canberra!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home