Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Mid Week Weakness

I planned to do 20k or so this morning by running 4 kms solo and then joining the others for the 16.3k Story Bridge loop from The Regatta at 5.30am. I couldn't quite get my act together for an early start so figured I would do the extra mileage afterwards.

Different people dropped off at different points, Mat and I were the only ones doing the full loop. Around the 10k mark he was going to slip into 'plod' mode so I headed off upping the pace a bit from our 5:20 - 5:30s. With 5k to go I put the foot down a bit more, coming home around 4:40s to give me a time of 1:22.25.

It was a minute or two slower than the last couple times, but I liked the idea of a cruisey start and a fast finish. Mat came in not too far behind me, he needs to look up the meaning of 'plod' in the dictionary :-)

I was about to head on out for that other 4k but one glance across the road to The Regatta seeing the rest of the gang downing icy cold water put an end to that. Slacker!

12 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Tess honey, I think you need to look up the definition of 'plod'. If you check the correct version, you'll see a photo of me ;-)

6:43 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

LOL Jen beat me to it - that was the exact comment I was composing...

Yeah 16.3k in 1.22.25 - I just don't know how you can even admit to in a public forum Tesso - I can just see Clairie walking around with a brown paper bag over head saying "oh the shame" :-)

7:49 PM  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Still a good mid week session...I can imagine the lure of the ice water!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

I didn't want to go for the 20K either and had a battle until the last few K's. A couple of K's short is more than compensated by the fast finish. You looked good out there this morning.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

It's OK Tesso, you didn't need to be doing anything faster than that for your midweek run. Another 4K would have been beneficial thaough.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Nice run (and method) Tess.

If Mat needs some advice on plodding, we're experts at that down here :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I was plodding this morning - in fact I've been plodding since SFT! Yours was a speedy plod!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Focus! The big picture is Canberra. You can be slack on the sunday arvo after the race. Johnny Dark is in form you better get a move on. Seriously it was a good run mid week.
The 50k time will come out eventually. Someone might guess after my run this sunday.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Not to worry Tesso

Sometimes the social animal wins, the one that likes drinking with friends, and sometimes the running animal wins, the one that likes 100K plus weeks.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tesso, I think you need to look up the meaning of "slacker". A mid week 16 km is nothing to sneeze at, especially at a decent pace!

Mind you, mid-week 20 does have a ring to it.....

7:49 AM  
Blogger Mat said...

I just couldn't plod the last 7k's back, knowing you were just streaking (i.e. going fast, not the other interpretation) ahead of me.

You've did well to finish fast. I'm going to turn up to these Wednesday runs more often as its a good motivator to run a little faster :-)))))).

10:05 AM  
Blogger Clairie said...

*oh the shame*

That times tells me that you are going to be the Robin Flower winner this year!

You looked great out there this morning at Pats, so whatever you did yesterday certainly didn't take it all out of you - which is the best news of all.

Canberra is gonna be so much fun.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home