Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Teamwork

As we were up at Mooloolaba on Sunday morning Clairie, Toasty and I put in an easy paced 8k before all the action started. We ran part of the 10k course and took in the hills that the poor competitors had to face later on in a much hotter part of day. And we only did each hill once, unlike them who had to contend with them a couple of times.

It made me very glad that Helen and I couldn't find a swimmer for our team. Might have helped if we looked :-)


*****


Today at PCRG was 6 x 500m reps with a 45 second SR. Feeling particularly leg heavy on the warm-up I seriously contemplated assisting Clairie in her marshalling, cheering and photography duties, and lining up to start was expecting my times to be in the vicinity of 2:05.

While running the first rep surrounded by a few people including Sal, I thought perhaps I should put in just one big effort to try to stay with her. I managed that and then told myself one more. This went on for the whole session with Carol joining in with the two of us. To my surprise and delight my times were way better than I hoped for -

1:57
1:51 <== Pat was with us in the last 50m saying "hammer yourself" ... and we did :-)
1:56
1:54
1:58
1:55

To finish it (and us) off Pat got us to do 1 minute and back.

I was rapt with how the session panned out, especially considering I didn't really want to do it in the first place. Thanks has to go to anyone who was around me, but particularly Sal and Carol. For what is considered an individual sport its amazing how much team work plays a part in your success. How lucky am I to be part of the fantastic team that is the PCRG :-)

Carol, Tesso & Sal in action


Carol, Sal & Tesso afterwards (my eyes are closed because I'm knackered!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

You are right Tesso. There is nothing like the support and encouragement of team Mate.

You sure mke wish I was part of it again.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Good numbers Tesso.

My problem is there's nobody slow enough to run with me! Exept 10-year old Julia on a bad day, and she only runs 200 metres.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Superflake said...

Nice 500m reps Tesso. Those team mates looked like they were pushing you hard.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

love the photos! if you weren't exhausted I would be really worried... and no - sand running isn't part of my program - I wanted to run by the beach and thought that would be a good part of it!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Tesso

I did 6 x 500m reps yesterday too but with 1min SR between. Ran them at night, all alone, in the cold rain.

I suppose I can do speedwork like this, by myself, for the short term but really I think I had better join a group, while it is still hard, that support, as you say, is priceless.

Numbers available by request ;)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Steve's Stuff said...

You're spot on re - team work. I've got to start running with a group again Sunday mornings, marathon training. Very hard to pull the pin if people expect you to turn up.

4:43 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Great stuff with the 500s Tess and very consistent too. As always, you have come up with a perceptive point about team work.

Running is very much an individual thing but it does take place in a team and social context and the latter can make a difference to our performance and especially how we feel about our sport.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Toasty said...

you forgot to mention the stomach comparisons halfway through the run on Sunday

8:08 PM  
Blogger Robert Song said...

You were quick off the mark with my number.

I am still undecide on my pace and distance and where I will do my Sunday run this week-end. But am leaning towards 21k at the BRRC at Marathon Pace.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Brendan said...

Another solid sesh! Coming together for you now Tesso.

9:57 PM  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Can you imagine what it would be like to always run alone (not to mention never going to a cafe afterwards... :-) ). Doesn't bear thinking about! Bring on the team.

Gnome

p.s. nice numbers. Just who was pushing who??

12:14 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Tess, thankyouuuuuuuu so much! Tuesday was great fun, thanks for pushing me to go that bit further. Now I'm a member of your team dedication (PCRG Gold Coast team name) I won't be letting you slack off (and don't you let me either!) cheers Carol

8:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Airborne!

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home